Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:49 PM   #1

Hello everyone,I have been lurking here for quite a while and have finally made up my mind to buy a DSLR and it HAS to be a NIKON.* I went to the store today and picked up all the competitors.* None compare to the build quality of the Nikon's in my opinion.* So now I am faced with a dilema.* I feel the D70s is too much camera for what I need and I decided a D50 is best for me (family pictures, building photography hobby, child in the house).* But now that the D70s is out, the price cuts on the D70 are impressive.* Ritz will put the D70 kit on your doorstop for $999 (with a $100 NikonUSA rebate).* That's pretty impressive considering that the D50 is $899.* I could stretch and go that route, but I feel the moire issue will bug me.* The D50 seems to be better.* Less complicated and newer AF.* The only things I will miss are the backlit LCD (I know...petty), FOV preview and the CF slot.* The D70 has a better lens (metal bayonet mount and a longer, faster zoom).* I've read that the D50 has an inferior shutter mechanism.* That bothers me as well.* I shoot about 4000 pictures a year, would this be an issue before the camera is eclipsed?* Thanks for your help, the forum is a very informative place to hang out.* I've seen other posts that are similar, but I am not interested in the Rebel.* This is just a D50 vs D70 questions.* And by the way, how do you make a new paragraph in this BBs system?**[img]/forums/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]*Tom
tomfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:05 PM   #2

Hi Tom,

I have the D70 and I am very happy with it, even though I did have the green light of death (GLOD) issue. What mattered is that Nikon took care of the problem in a very professional manner and has in effect gained a loyal consumer in the process. The D50 looks like it will be a great camera in it's own right. I do prefer the CF card however, there are benefits to a "smaller" and "cooler running" chip. I do like the fact that the memory card door is not part of the thumb holding area on the D50. The DOF preview is handy but I rarely use it, I don't think that will be an issue. Same story for the backlight, nice sometimes but, you rarely shoot in pitch darkness, another minor point. Moire, perhaps, but the conditions have to be just right and even then it can be somewhat corrected in post-processing. I have heard nothing concerning an inferior shutter, I doubt Nikon would put in a shutter that would not last longer that you would care to keep using the same 'ol camera in this fast moving digital age, heck, I'm already wishing for a D2x and only recently hit 5000 on my D70's counter! I haven't held the D50 but I read it is somewhat smaller, there again I don't think it to be much of an issue unless you have small hands, I do, perhaps I would like the D50 better? I do know that whatever you decide, "tomorrow" will bring another announcement from Nikon of a great new digital SLR with great new features and at a price only a few dollars more than you paid for your Dxx. Now, what do you do? They just keep coming. Pick them both up, give them a couple of shots if allowed and take the plunge! No matter which you choose you will be very happy... for a while! :-) Personally, I would even consider finding a new D100 body on sale somewhere. Yes, it's "older" but, built like a tank and is feature loaded. Pick up a Nikkor 28-200ED on the web for $275 or so and start shooting! However, the D70 kit for $999 delivered is a great price...great, now I've confused myself! :?

...Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:40 AM   #3

edorfox,Thanks for the reply.* I'm leaning towards the D50, just because it is a little newer technology.* There is not that much difference between the two.* I guess if the moire and GLOD issues were not present I would not even hesitate and buy the D70.* What I do like about the D70 is that the camera has already had it's "shakedown" and there are only these two real issues.* Who knows what special issue the D50 will have.* I have read the GLOD was fixed on all cameras made after September 2004...Again, thanks for taking the time to write.* Tom
tomfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 9:17 PM   #4

Hi - I just bght the D50. I've had it for a day & I LOVE it! Not 100% sure how all the modes & functions work, but the burst mode is fantastic! I also have a baby - 6mos old - so that feature was very important to me. I am very happy w/ my decision! Personally, I found the D70 to be much heavier than the 50.
janice0708 is offline   Reply With Quote