Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:03 PM   #1

Hi folks - I am a relative newbie who has been dabbling around with photography for moe years than I can remember - always a learner - never an expert! The problem I have is that I like to take pictures of wild life particularly wild birds. In my garden I have many that come to feed and bathe - I can sit in my porch, watch and if I could - take pictures of them!

I need to fire my Nikon D70 from behind - the ML-L3 will only allow me to fire it from the side - hence when I move the birds move and hey I have no picture.

I bought a Phillips TV remote which I coded into the Nikon believing that it would give more range and allow me to fire form behind - it fires the camera OK but not from behind.

I have read that you can sellotape a piece of fibre optic cable in front of the sensor allowing it to protrude approximately 1" above the camera - this apparantley works - has anyone tried it - has anyone got any other solutions? Apologies for the homily but as I cna't use my camera at the moment I thought I would write an essay instead!
Elreeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:51 PM   #2
Administrator

The simplest thing to do is place a small hand mirror (or something highly reflective) in front of and on the side ofthe camera that has the IR receiver port - you can bounce your IR remote's beam off of it. You of course want to keep this out of the way of the lens' field of view.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:55 PM   #3

Thanks Steve I did think along those lines but thought a mirror would be a bit cumbersome to position - I did read/hear somewhere that a small piece of fibre optic cable positioned over the IR sensor would achieve the same results - has anyone tried it?
Elreeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:23 AM   #4

a simple white card will do also in most cases.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote