Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:02 PM   #11

Cameranserai

You stated that these cameras have the same mechanics, and should behave in a similar manner when used in the same mode.

Whit the added information iv given do you have any other ideas?

Merci cousin
Rgds
jobi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:23 PM   #12
DBB

I own two Nikon digital SLR's, I have also handled the D100 and the D1 (if I recall)

While to a certain extent we are all talking through our necks, if we don't own the camwera in question. I will go out on a limb... (this btw is very foolish of me, and I have regreted it in the past) :lol:

I do NOT believe that the camera will behave differently on low power. I follow this board and others, and have NEVER heard mention of such a thing with any DSLR, let alone a Nikon. Admitidly I follow Nikon closer than others.

I say poiint blank - SOMETHING IS WRONG. If my two Nikons, D1x or D2x or the D100, run low, they work perfectly and then DIE. It has happened to me with all THREE cameras.

It also makes sense to behave this way - because electonics made to operate with one voltage will be damaged by working with another. So when the battery level drops below a certain point the camera shuts down.

Now I will be happy to eat crow. For my French speaking friend, this is the equivalent of drinking poor wine, that has turned to viniger.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:35 PM   #13
Administrator

DBB wrote:
Quote:
I will go out on a limb... (this btw is very foolish of me, and I have regreted it in the past) :lol:
LOL

After I read my first post with what I thought could be potential problem areas (camera, battery or memory card); I thought "well, you never know...". :-)

So, I added another post with this, just in case I was wrong:

Quote:
I guess it could be designed that way (slow down to conserve battery life when it's low), but I've never noticedanyone mention it before. So, I'd suspect something else is wrong.
Hmmm, simulating an old motor drive getting slower as batteries go dead? ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:43 AM   #14

Yesterday I was determined to get to the bottom of this, I especially wanted to see if what Dave said was pertinent to both D70s and D50, as I was driving across the province I stopped at every dealer in 4 different cities, not going to mention any names, but these large surface usually have plenty of all major brands in stock. Well *USUALY* as none hade any D70s in stock but plenty of D50's, they all said they are back order from Nikon.ca

Isn't that funny just when the D50 is released suddenly the most omnipresent camera on the market just disappeared!?

Now that iv convinced myself to get the D70s even-though my first choice was D50, cant find it anymore. (MARKETING) ???

Anyways iv ask about the problem iv seen, needles to say no one knew about it. Even the Nikon representative didn't know, he told me something that confused me again.

He said that the D50 was capable of AF on moving subjects similar to 20D in AI SERVO mode, according to him the D70s can't do this. I am confused because I tot this feature was on the D70 and D70s. well guess ill go read Steve's review one more.

Rgds

Anyways iv ask about the problem iv seen, needles to say no one knew about it. Even the Nikon representative didn't know, he told me something that confused me again.

He said that the D50 was capable of AF on moving subjects similar to 20D in AI SERVO mode, according to him the D70s can't do this. I am confused because I tot this feature was on the D70 and D70s. well guess ill go read Steve's review one more.

Old Jul 30, 2005, 2:30 PM   #15

Hello hears an update for who's interested, after many inquiry's I am still in the blues concerning the power drain on D50. However it seemed like such a minor issue than I went on and obtained a D50 yesterday. Took it to the zoo and was very pleased with it. The camera was a joy to use even-though this is my first Nikon and I haven't read the manual yet, I can't say the same about the 70-300 sigma that I obtained with the camera, I changed it to a 70-300 Nikon this morning, a major improvement.

Thank to this site contributors for sharing valuable info and expertise

Rgds

Old Aug 6, 2005, 3:16 PM   #16

Here is more information to add to the confusion over the batteries and their performance in these two cameras. Apparently, the cameras use different batteries, even though they have the same form factor. Some of the electronic guys in this group should jump on this and figure out the problem. Since you don't know which battery was being swapped from one camera to the next, it may be hard to figure out the performance difference. Anyway, this information is copied from the Nikon website:

D70s:

Increased Battery Performance - with new

EN-EL3a rechargeable battery: The new EN-EL3a

rechargeable lithium-ion battery increases energy

capacity to shoot more images while maintaining the

same form factor as the EN-EL3 battery. The new

Quick Charger MH-18a is smaller than the charger

it replaces, and is capable of charging both the

EN-EL3a and EN-EL3 batteries. When the need

arises, the Nikon D70s can also be powered using

CR2 batteries. (Requires the optional CR2 battery

holder, MS-D70)

D50:

Incredible Battery Performance - with EN-EL3

Rechargeable Battery: The EN-EL3 rechargeable

lithium-ion battery increases energy capacity to

shoot approximately 2,000 images. The new Quick

Charger MH-18a is smaller than the original MH-18,

and is capable of charging both the EN-EL3a and

EN-EL3 batteries

I think you will be satisfied with the D50. I am with mine. I could have purchased the D70s, but I purposefully bought the lighter weight D50. Your English is fine.Completely correct spelling and grammar are rareties on the internet. My French has become non-existent since I studied it in college and promptly forgot, as I wasn't using the language enough to master it.

Vandyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:59 PM   #17

Thanks for the insight!

Hears what I think happened with the power drain issue, now that I own a D50 and my friend has a D70 we tested them in every way possible.

We didn't fond the batteries or memory cards to be at fault, however we did notice different AF tracking performance, in continuous shooting mode the D50 only release shutter when in focus, therefore if you are holding the camera without paying much attention, it may refocus when its moved a little, this slowing the FPS rate considerably.

Thanks for your information nevertheless.

As for the D50 I am very pleased with it, yesterday I meet a pro photographer at a RE/MAX party and he too was impressed with the D50. he was shooting with Fuji film S2 a very impressive camera id never seen before, I informed him about my interest in the new D200 as a complement to my D50, he told me to hold on a little until the release of the new highly improved S4 a 9MP Dslr with super CCD and multi media card sluts that will out perform both D70s and D200 for less money. And it takes all Nikon lens. Interesting!

My D50 will always be a excellent back up and vacation camera. I can honestly say I like it more then my use to be 20D, in fact it's the best digi I got so far.

Rgds