Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 14, 2005, 4:53 AM   #1

Ps. Hope my English makes sense J

Hello this is the first time I post on a forum, I am also French so pleas be indulgent with my wording. last week I went to buy a D50 at the dealer.

Hers what happened, they took a battery from a D70s so I could test the D50 with kit lens, the battery was low and this made the D50 very slow barley hitting the 1 fps in burst mode, watts funny is the same battery was driving the D70s and 18-70mm at almost 3fps. We repeated twice with same results. We even tried both cameras with a sigma 70-200mm 2.8, and still the D70s was more then twice as fast with the same low battery. This made me want to inquire on this forum before I make my purchase, so pleas if you have any idea or better yet the possibility to test my assumptions, let me know.

Kind Rgds

Ps. Hope my English makes sense J

jobi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:47 AM   #2
DBB

As long as the camera works, it should work at full speed.

If there's enough power to operate the camera it will work at full speed and then shut down

Something is defective. Or something incorrect is being done.

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Administrator

Are you sure you didn't have the camera setup so that it was using very slow shutter speeds during this test (or using a flash where recharge times would come into play)?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:00 AM   #4

Il doit etre aucune différence entre les deux. La base du boitier D50 et le D70 est exactement la meme chose, donc, dans ma tete, il y avait quelques differences dans la facon de prendre les photos. Ouverture, vitesse? les deux pouvaient changer le boitier comme vous avez dit. Moi, je pense que peut-etre c'est le cas, mais au meme temps ilfaut soitessayer un autre boitier D50, soit essayer encore une fois avec la batterie bien chargée. Désolé, mais je l'ai trouvé impossible de bien ecrire en francais sur ce site. (Pas d'accents) Vous pouvez me contacter par email si vous voulez

Amitiés
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:23 AM   #5

Which means?
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:21 PM   #6

Both cameras where set the same and taken outside in daylight, on a charged battery the D50 operated flawlessly. My first impression was that the D70s (demo) was operating more freely, I tot sins it has already been tried 100s of time by customers that its mechanic was less tight, as opposed to the very new D50. less friction demands less power!

This is the only explanation I cauls think of, other then a defective D50.

My next concern was that it had deferent internal, but you guys just stated it was identical? I wish someone could do the test, maybe a brand spanken new D70s would have behaved the same way on a low charge battery?

Many thanks for the info

Rgds
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:39 PM   #7
Administrator

jobi64 wrote:
Quote:
Both cameras where set the same and taken outside in daylight, on a charged battery the D50 operated flawlessly.

Well, I would think the camera would have some kind of voltage regulator to keep it from behaving differently with a low battery, combined with some kind of circuit that shuts it down after the voltage goes below a certain level.

So, I would say that there is a possibility of something being defective.

It's my understanding that some batteries also have some kind of protective circuitry to shut them downonce voltagegoes below a certain level.

I don't know if it's battery falls into this category or not. So, the camera could be relying on the battery for some protection, too -- depending on it's design (speculation on my part).

Have you tried a different battery in the D50 to see if you can duplicate the problem? If you can't run down a different battery and duplicate the problem then it could be a bad battery.

I'd also swap out the memory card in case it's failing in such a way as to cause slowwrites.

Perhaps it's tolerance to voltage variations are different compared to the camera, and it's failing in a way that's slowing down the camera before voltage is low enough for the camera shut down (speculation on my part).

Or, perhaps it's drawing too much current and causing some kind of problem. I'd swap out both the memory card and battery before assuming the camera has a problem.

I'd also reset it to factory defaults if that didn't solve it.

Quote:
My next concern was that it had deferent internal, but you guys just stated it was identical? I wish someone could do the test, maybe a brand spanken new D70s would have behaved the same way on a low charge battery?

They are not identical (different buffer sizes,control layout, features, etc.). I don't know if thevoltage regulation circuitry works the same way or not. But, I wouldn't expect a camera to behave in the way you're describing unless something was defective (camera, battery, memory card), or you had a setting that was influencing it's behavior.

Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:01 PM   #8
Administrator

I guess it could be designed that way (slow down to conserve battery life when it's low), but I've never noticedanyone mention it before. So, I'd suspect something else is wrong.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:27 PM   #9

Jim I haven't been to the dealer ever sins, however the problem wasn't exclusive to the D50 as even the D70s was a little slower then normal (remember I said almost 3fps) side by side with an 350xt on full battery, the xt was noticeably faster. So I would guess both Nikons would slow to preserve battery life (witch seem like a good thing)

Still this doesn't explain why the D50 was so much slower then the D70s.

This perhaps is one observation that will need more looking into.

Meanwhile I will start considering a D70s unless someone sheds some light on the matter. As iv said on a full battery the D50 is flawless.

For the time being I have no access to an other D50, if I did id test this fault in every way possible simply out of curiosity if nothing else.

Thanks

Rgds
Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:49 PM   #10

Id like to express my concern over this matter, no dough both are very good cameras, however in this case the D50 may suffer AF inaccuracy especially at tele when battery is low. As Jim said the camera may preserve battery life but what good is this if we can't get the last photos in focus?

Just sharing my tots

Rgds