Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:41 PM   #1

Hi. This post is also about d70 vs d50..sorry about the title..

After reading lots of reviews online soon to turn crazy i have decided on purchasing a nikon digital slr. I am not sure about whether to go for d70 or the d50. This is my first slr camera and i would like to get the most from this deal.

After reading reviiews i have noticed some issues with d70, mainly the noise on highher ISO values and the moire issue. This latter is resolved in the d50. Does the updated firmware improve on the iso? What about the ISO200 vs ISO100 offered by the "cheaply designed" rebelxt?

I would like to be able to shoot at higher ISO values ,but i am not sure whether this is a real issue or if it is one of the typical technial specs people focus on.

I am only a hobby photographer, but i am very competent in using photoshop so i do not mind post processing. I do see that the d50 still also offers more or less the same features as d70..

Do you recomend the d50 or the d70 in my case?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

I will enjoy moving to the world of slr

thanks

lroenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:41 AM   #2

Hi, I am also recently been looking at the Nikon d50, and some advantages I like over the d70/d70s is the d50's lower price and size (which is why I'm also considering the Pentax DS also).

Now regarding the noise and moire:

A) the noise at iso 1600 seems to be slightly better than the d70
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...ew/index.shtml

B) there is still some moire and is not as noticeable as the d70
look at the four mini corner towers
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...w/DSC_0162.JPG

look at first column and arch way
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...w/DSC_0155.JPG

Hopefully when Steve is done with the review I can then make up my mind.

Jobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:02 PM   #3

Hi. I went to the stores the other day and had a look at the d70/d50 and the Canon 350d.

I am currently looking at getting the canon350 because of its lower iso values, better noise at higher ISO.. But the d50 is still attractive.

The older d70 is ruled out at the moment, because of the moire issure, the noise handling.. but I do not think one can go wrong with either of the three cameras.

Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:54 PM   #4
kex

lroenning wrote:
Quote:
Hi. I went to the stores the other day and had a look at the d70/d50 and the Canon 350d.

I am currently looking at getting the canon350 because of its lower iso values, better noise at higher ISO.. But the d50 is still attractive.

The older d70 is ruled out at the moment, because of the moire issure, the noise handling.. but I do not think one can go wrong with either of the three cameras.

I've got the D70 for half a year now. So I'd like to comment on the ISO and moire "issue".
Actually, there's not much to say. I've never had problems with moire and the in-camera noise reduction works really good for me. ISO 200 is noisefree and you can shoot up to ISO 640 without many differnces regarding noise. from about ISO 1000 you can recognize it a little more, but it has never been a problem for me. I'm very satisfied actually!
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:19 AM   #5

Hi thanks for sharing your experience with the camera. I am not really sure if i will actually use ISO above 640 myself, but it would be nice to have the opportunity to do so without having eagly prints.

In my case the d70 seem to offer greatler value as it comes with a better objective the 17-70mm instead of the cheaper lens kit that comes with d50.

I am new to slr so i do not own any equipment.. I also think it is important to notice the fact that one will probably get a new Camera house as the technology improves over time..

BTW the d70 with the 18-70 objective retails at the same price as the d50 with the cheaper objecitve.

Should i still get the d70?

Thanks mates

Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:17 PM   #6

That's interesting, if you don't mind the slightly larger size and weight of the D70 then get it since I would rather have the 18-70mm vs the 18-55mm lens kit!

The D70 is slow being replaced by the D70s with it's 2.0 LCD and wired remote control port (and other minor software tweaks that can be updated with a simple firmware download for the D70).
Jobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 5:30 PM   #7

Thats my take on it as well. Thanks for getting back to me mate

I think i will get the d70.. I would be more happy with the nice lens..

Does anyone know if this image would bee suffering from the moire effect using d70?

(The image wasfound as the picture of today.. It is not mine..)

Attached Images