Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:42 PM   #1

HI Experts,

I have been using my D70 for about 6 mo now and overall been very happy. I do have a few questions about cropping and DPI setting.

In photoshop, when I crop an image for 5x7 or 8x10 it defaults to 300 dpi? Should I use this DPI or set it different?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Regards,

Pete Robbins

[email protected]
Attached Images

Peterob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:56 AM   #2

300 dpi is correct for printing, but you don't need it for viewing or storing photos - it will just use up memory unneccesarily. However, if you are cropping I assume you are doing so forprinting purposesso I'dleave as is. I can't be more specific on Photoshop since I use PS Pro8
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:28 AM   #3

On the D70 you have roughly 2000 x 3000 pixels when you crop the image you obviously reduce the number of pixels in at least 1 direction. when you print the available pixels are distributed across the page. Setting the pixels/inch on the crop menu forces PD to create or discard pixels to match the target you set.

On the screen shot the pixels/inch is blank and that is how it should be. Used this way you will crop to the ratio you want 7x5 and set the print size to 7x5 inches but you will not resample the image. If you then go to the image, image size menu you can see what resolution you have got. As long as it's 200 ppi or higher you should be OK for printing any less and you may need to resample. I'd recommend bicubic smoother if availabel as the resampling method.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 8:08 AM   #4

Thanks for your response. I will leave the resolution setting empty when I resize.

One more question though, I resized like you suggested and then opened the image but photoshop still listed the image as 300 dpi. I then went back and opened the original image (see pic) and it lists it as 300 dpi?

I am confused or misunderstood since I thought the original image from the D70 on all high settings for JPG would be much higher?

Any insight what I am doing wrong or why PS does not show anything other than 300 dpi when I look at the files.

Thanks again for all your help.

Pete
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2005, 8:23 AM   #5

One more PS question.

After you crop it Photoshop asks you to save it with some selections.

1. Image quality (which I assume you set to the highest setting?)

2. What about the format options. What is best to select for printing?

- Baseline

- Baseline Optimized

- Progressive?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:04 AM   #6

In the screenshot you have the resample image box checked. This is telling photoshop that you want to change the image size so that it is 300 DPI at the set dimensions it will increase or decrease the picture size to acheive this. If you uncheck this box photoshop will show you the current DPI. The D70 sensor is 3008 by 2000 pixels that gives the 6 megapixels. At 300 DPI that gives 10 x 6.6 as you see in your screenshot. To print bigger than this you either use a lower DPI or resample (which means photoshop creates new pixels based on the existing pixels).

When I use JPG I use baseline standard and 11 or 12. I shoot using RAW not JPG and when I save the files after processing I generally use TIF. This creates much bigger files than JPG but it's lossless whereas each time you modify and save a file using JPG you lose a little more of the original data.

Old Jul 20, 2005, 3:31 AM   #7

Just remembered there's a good explanation of pixels, PPi and DPI here http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...uary_2005.html