Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:10 AM   #1

I knocked my D2X off of an end table the other day on to a carpeted floor. The fall was about 18 inches and there is no noticeable damage to camera or lens. The lens was my 24-120 VR. I tried taking some pictures after this incident and found that the lens would auto focus but would not lock focus therefore you can't snap the shot. I switched the lens to my D70 and found that it must be the lens that has a problem because it does the same thing on that body. Does this sound like something that will require a trip to the repair shop? Naturally, I really need the lens to shoot a wedding in about 4 weeks.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:20 AM   #2

I forgot to mention - The lens works fine about halr of the time on both bodies. Any ideas why it would be an intermittent problem?
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:14 AM   #3

It sounds like you may have damaged or bent one or more ot the electrical contacts that transfer data to and from the lens to the camera cpu. Sounds like a repair job to me. Do you have insurance for that? If nor, it might be a bit expensive!

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:04 PM   #4

All I have is the factory warranty. I really love the lens so I'll probably pay whatever it takes to get it fixed. Unless of course I can buy a new one just as cheap.

Is NY the only place you can send Nikon stuff for repair in the US?
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:24 PM   #5

In Nikon's continued efforts to supply quality service and support to our dealers and consumers, we are moving our Western Regional Service Facility to a new state-of-the-art location just minutes from the Los Angeles Airport in the heart of the city.

Effective July 20, 2005, our new address will be:

Nikon Inc. Photo & Digital Service
Nikon Inc. Factory Service
841 Apollo Street, Suite 100
El Segundo, CA 90245-4721

This new facility will house our repair facility for both instrument and photo service groups. Additionally, our consumer relations department and service relations department will be assisting our customers from this new location.

Please note that this change will be in effect starting July 20, 2005. We look forward to servicing our customers from this new location.

Please note the following changes to our phone and fax numbers:

New Phone 310-414-8107
New Fax 310-335-9242

Our toll-free numbers will remain the same:
1-800-NIKONUS (for technical support)
1-800-NIKONSV (for service support)

edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:31 PM   #6

Hi !

I really complain with you, but if you wish to know my point, I would find a well established photography store around where you lives, that are appreciated by pro's ! why ? because often pro's rent those huge lenses they uses once every three years... So there you may be able to rent a body and lens, while you'll get yours to Nikon for servicing... and you'll be sure that the pictures will be good.

Of course, if you do this way, PLEASE, test it WAY before your event...!

Good Luck !

Le Bauffe,
Lebauffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:21 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice on renting. I hadn't thought of that. I live in rural CA so there isn't a BIG photo store anywhere near me but I'm sure I could find something in the Bay Area.

Weird thing about my lens - I continued to use it (manually focusing) because it is such a great lens and now it seems to be working fine. I love my Nikon products.