Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:43 AM   #1

Am I alone in thinking that when you buy a car it normally comes with an engine, so when you buy a D2X why is it unusable unless you fork out extra for Nikon Capture? The whole point of a professional camera is to work in RAW or NEF, but I have had to spend again to use allthe cameras capabilities. It used to be included with the D1X I seem to remember, but here we have a much more sophisticated camera which is only able to work in JPEG as supplied. Not good enough Nikon!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:43 PM   #2
DBB

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
Am I alone in thinking that when you buy a car it normally comes with an engine, so when you buy a D2X why is it unusable unless you fork out extra for Nikon Capture? The whole point of a professional camera is to work in RAW or NEF, but I have had to spend again to use all the cameras capabilities. It used to be included with the D1X I seem to remember, but here we have a much more sophisticated camera which is only able to work in JPEG as supplied. Not good enough Nikon!
I couldn't agree more with you. Although you are incorrect about the D1x. That didn't come with Capture either.

All of the Nikon camera's DO come with some very basic software that allows a crude translation and importation of NEF into some other format or even to load into some programs such as Photoshop

There is of course a "redeeming" quality to all this. While Capture is not a bad program, it is SOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOW as to be basicly useless to someone like myself, who shoots a thousand or more images a week. If all I had was Capture I would take images one week, and then spend two, processing them...

Hmm, not exactly a recomendation here - but the program does have it's fine points, although I can't use it.

If you don't have or can't afford Photoshop, I would recomend Bibble. It's VERY fast. Others no doubt have their own recomendations. Ask. But unless you have a machine much faster than mine, Capture isn't worth it.

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:20 PM   #3

I agree also but, for a different reason. I think the program (4.3) is a pain to use. It's like watching paint dry and I am running a 2.4 ghz, Pentium4 hyper-threading, 800Mhz fsb, 2Gb PC4200 DDR Dual channel ram, and a pair of 10,000 rpm SCSI drives! Might as well give it away free, maybe somebody will use it then. I DO like some of the options but personally I can't tell much if any difference with my photos JPG vs. NEF. The only tools I really like are the curves, and advanced RAW palette, characteristics of both can be found in other low cost programs (when used in JPG format). I am really not much of a fan of "proprietary" things, especially if the only program you can use isn't very good in the first place.

...Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote