Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:52 AM   #1

Default D100

I just bought the D100 with the 24-85 Zoom. In two weeks it's become a love hate relationship. It operates and feels like my old FM2 in many ways so I was very much in love with it.

Unfortunately, I had several focus problems and continue to produce pathetic photos. They are all off 2-3% out of focus. They look great on the menu screen but in photoshop they all show poor focus to almost sharp focus. I'm not a pro but the problem seems to have been lessened when I went to the spot focus mode in the center mode rather than weighted focus.

I noticed that even in the locked mode the focus shifted from center to the far right spot when I checked the focus mode of the camera. Seemed impossible but it was true.

It's fifteen days with this camera and I'm tempted to turn it in for the Canon D60 which might be better or more idiot proof. I'm not sure. I'm going nuts but the I do know one thing. The pictures I made with my coolpix 775 2M camera are far superior in quality than the ones coming out of this $2700 camera. Is there anyone out there with some advice on how to get this camera to produce a sharply focused image? I took it back to the store and they tried image sharpening to improve the picture. It worked but the pictures were high contrast and it seems rediculous that I should have to turn on the sharpen image to get critical focus.

Does anyone know if the D60 is much easier and better at still photography. I can't live with these mediocre shots I'm taking and fear it will take 6 months to take a good photo with the D100.
mbuonanno@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2003, 2:37 PM   #2

Hi,

Well, you said lenses is 24-85. What brand? what f/stop? like say nikon 24-85 f/5.6 whatever?

Depend on lenses?

I had D100 for 4 months. Also Nikon D1H for 7 months. I had 12 different lneses from Nikon and Sigma.

Anyway, I test D100 with lenses, I noticed some SLOW focus and some FAST focus with lenses.

Hard to say for focus and lenses...

If I were you, I pick Professional lenses as "ED" byn nikon and "APO" by Sigma. IF no ED or no APO then not great lenses with cheap price.

Or possible AF area for SINGLE or DYNAMTIC ? i am notsure you use that. AF area that you see BLACK SQUARE viewfinder to point AF detail. If dymanic, it's range AF. You can play with both to see.

If you get fixed lenses (not zoom) with f/2.8, it is best ever I see with d100.

that is all.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:38 PM   #3

Default Lens detail: AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear
Hi,

Well, you said lenses is 24-85. What brand? what f/stop? like say nikon 24-85 f/5.6 whatever?

Depend on lenses? my lens is Lens detail: AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G $369.US

I had D100 for 4 months. Also Nikon D1H for 7 months. I had 12 different lneses from Nikon and Sigma.

Anyway, I test D100 with lenses, I noticed some SLOW focus and some FAST focus with lenses.

Hard to say for focus and lenses...

If I were you, I pick Professional lenses as "ED" byn nikon and "APO" by Sigma. IF no ED or no APO then not great lenses with cheap price.

Or possible AF area for SINGLE or DYNAMTIC ? i am notsure you use that. AF area that you see BLACK SQUARE viewfinder to point AF detail. If dymanic, it's range AF. You can play with both to see.

If you get fixed lenses (not zoom) with f/2.8, it is best ever I see with d100.

that is all.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:40 PM   #4

My lens is a Lens detail: AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G and it cost $369 while I don't think that is a great lens it should focus well.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 8:28 AM   #5

Ah, Nikon 24-85 G. I heard from others about it. Well, Like i said about use "ED" or "APO" should be great than without ED or APO lenses. Or you can bring your D100 to shop and try test other lenses, you like it then buy it but price you can afford?

Good Luck

but so far I heard Nikon will have some new lenses come soon for Digital SLR, I dont know when yet.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 5:09 PM   #6

Another concern (besides your lenses) could be the capture mode you're in. The .jpg files seem noticably softer than uncompressed NEF's to me. Then there's the auto-sharpening feature. You might try playing with the setting a little. I believe it defaults to auto, but normal may be a better choice for you.
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote