Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 16, 2003, 8:33 PM   #1

Default image stablized with D100?

Anyone know any good image stablized lenses for use with the D100? Sure, Nikon makes one at about $1,400. If what I read is true you can't use the IS feature with a tripod... kinda annoying.

And I'd rather not pay $1,400+ for one. Is that just a fantasy?

Thoughts?
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2003, 2:23 PM   #2

Well, what lenses you look for? what lenses for? sports? wildlife? portrait? travel? etc? fixed lenses or zoom lenses?

I think price so expensive should be best quality than cheap is average or good quality. Of course, the lenses with f/1.4 or f/2.8 are expensive than f/4.5 or f/5.6 price cheap.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2003, 7:26 PM   #3

Ok, I'll be more specific.
Nature photography, birds mostly. Limited/no sports.

I wouldn't use it for long travel, but hiking with it would be nice. I'm not going to do over nights or hike for miles with it. I can deal with fixed, but I'd prefer a small zoom. For cost and size I rule out a 600mm & 500mm; but I guess that is obvious if I think twice at $1,400.

All things being equal in quality, of course the faster lens will be more expensive. It will also be larger and heavier.

I just look at all those Canon IS lenses and then I check out Nikon's selections and find (at least at B&H and a few other places) only 1. So are there other brands? Is Nikon coming out with others? I read that Sigma makes some, but I don't know if the D100 can take them. And with them who knows... the quality could be fairly good or flat-out unacceptable.

I was hoping someone might have some experience with some and could pass along some info.

I don't agree on the question of quality. Trading cost for quality is ok for many people, it just has to fit their level of acceptable quality. I will be getting a deal on the D100 (I don't own it yet.) That is the only way I could get one. After using one this fall with a 300mm, I missed some nice shots when the tripod was not an option. If someone said (for example):
"200-400mm f/4-f5.6 AF VR ED for $850 was good. Not as good as the Nikon, but for the money it's worth it."

Then that would give me a good starting point to research more.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 6:58 PM   #4

Canon's IS lenses are a little more mature than the Nikon VR's. Nikon has a lot of catching up to do in that department.

Nikon has a 70-200 F2.8 VR lens due in a couple of months. They won't release the price for another month, but I'm betting right at or just under $1000 street (basically the same as the lens it's replacing). You could always throw a teleconverter on it to get a little more focal length (at the cost of a stop or two), but you're back to the $1400 range....and I'm not certain that VR is retained with a teleconverter.

I'm not aware of any other brands with stabilization. Have you tried a monopod? I do a fair amount of my photography in very rocky, mountainous conditions, and often a monopod is the only way to go.
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 9:07 PM   #5

JimS

Thanks for the comments. I just saw the press release on Nikon's web site about that VR lense this week. Sounds interesting.

I think your price of under $1000 is optimistic, I'd be interested in your chain of reasoning. Mine goes like this:
The equivalent lens to the new one:
Zoom Telephoto AF-S Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED-IF Autofocus Lens - Light Grey
It lists at B&H Photo at $1,429.95

(It's slightly more because its light grey, but its also a "gray" market item which should lower the price. They have removed the US model, probably for the VR to take its place.)
The $919 one is not IF nor is it AF-S, both of which the new VR version is. Basically, I'm thinking it will be closer to $1,200. It becomes a trade of a stop (and save $200) for 200mm in zoom.

I hope you're right, I'd like it to be priced under US$1,000. And I can't see how it would be $1,400 since that is the price of the 80-400 VR (of course, that isn't AF-S either.)

I have a monopod and I've used it when I've borrowed a old Nikkor 80-200/f4.0-f5.6 (I think.) I used it on an 8008 body. With the D100's 1.5x that would get me to 300 which isn't bad, but more reach would be nice. A 1.4x teleconverter would cost me 1 stop (right?) which would get me upwards of 420 or so. Interesting.

Have you used the VR with a monopod? I've heard bad things about it with a tripod.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 11:16 PM   #6

Canon's stabilized 70-200 f2.8 is around $1600, so I could well be far too optimistic. On the other hand, Nikon is playing catch up right now, so I wouldn't put it past them to price this lens aggressively.

I haven't had a chance to handle the 80-400, but here's a link to a review:

http://www.moose395.net/gear/mcb80400vr.html
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:48 PM   #7

Default 70-200 VR out now...

and it's going to be about $2000 street price. Ah well. Someday...
Covey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:31 AM   #8

Some user reviews of lenses:

http://www.photographyreview.com/35m...128_78crx.aspx

http://www.photographyreview.com/35m...128_83crx.aspx

Take those reviews with a grain of salt, compare the pros and cons of each lens for consistency: if one review is over enthusiastic or not enthusiastic at all, read on to make sure.

I for one will take quality over price any day. Doesn't mean I can afford every lens there exist, just that when I am able to I only buy the best glass.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 3:55 PM   #9

marokero

Thanks for the links. I'll check those out.

There are also some other forums out there where people have some strong feelings about lenses. That is where I've been picking up ideas for lenses to consider (and therefor research.) I just have to be careful because a lens which a Pro hates might be just find for me (especially at its cost!)

Quote:
I for one will take quality over price any day. Doesn't mean I can afford every lens there exist, just that when I am able to I only buy the best glass.
This might be naive of me, but I prefer to get what I paid for, with the understanding that there is a minimum level of acceptable quality. I know the price of the Sigma 100-300 is good compared to similar lenses, but I have to rely on others for its optical quality... and its quite clear that some people are hyper critical about sharpness and other things (more critical than I need be at the moment.)

I don't like the idea that I'll grow out of a lens (and loose money selling it to replace it.) But the only guarentee is to spend tons of money and only buy the best. Since that is out, I have to consider price vs. quality.

Eric

ps. If people aren't aware, the 70-200 F2.8 VR is out in the UK. Look in the nikon lenses forums for my post with some review links.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 4:15 PM   #10
Administrator

Default New Nikkor 24-120G VR zoom

Phil just posted news of new Nikkor 24-120G VR lens:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0302/03...24120afsvr.asp

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote