Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 5, 2005, 9:25 AM   #1

As a lot of you know I am a professional photographer. However I do not believe that the cost of your camera make you a professional. A professional is, in my mind, is one who can produce beautiful images for the client no matterwhat camera they are holding. Yes the camera can help youwith metering and fill flash and all of the tech stuff. However the camera can not see the magic moments or determen the exact moment to press the shutter! The camera does not tell the bride how beautiful she looks to get the glowing smile! the camera does not select the filter to put the star effect on the candle flames!
I have been using myfirst D70s for about 2 months now and I love it! Yes I do baby sit the white balance, theISO andall of the other tech crap. However the images I have gotten out of the D70s have be extremely consistantin theexposure and tone.

I general shoot everything in manual andbalance the interal light meter myself. However there have beem a few caes where I have used aperture priorityand program mode with great secess.

If you are thinking abouta newdigital SLR take a long look at the D70s. GREAT CAMERA at a GREATPRICE!

I plan on my third this winter!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Mike
mhphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:54 PM   #2

Why would you buy two (soon to be three?) of the same body? Do you carry them all at once, with different lenses on them?*If so, that makes sense to me.*If not, buy four, and send me one*I decided recently that although I wanted a D50, the original D70 seems like a better buy.*
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 6:18 AM   #3

Dlatu1983 wrote:
Quote:
Why would you buy two (soon to be three?) of the same body? Do you carry them all at once, with different lenses on them?If so, that makes sense to me.
On top of that, if you're a pro it makes sense to even just carry a "spare" camera in case one breaks down in the middle of a job.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 9:32 PM   #4

Hi Mike,
Ken Rockwell states he believes the D50 to have a mirror lock up for killing vibration
but that the D70 and D70s don't. I would think any DSLR would have mirror lock up for cleaning, but what about these cameras for telephoto tripod work? Get the Pentax ist DS and Canon D350 XT out of my mind too, if you would.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:00 PM   #5

Hi,

Ihave mutipule cameras with different lenses on them. My main camera I mount a 24mm to 70mm F2.8. I do about 90 % of my work with that lens. The second camera I mount a 15mm 2.8 of my wide angle shots.

Doing this helps me work faster. I can alsoavoid removing lenses and gettingdust from getting into the camera.

Mike
Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:04 PM   #6

The D70s does have mirror lock up for cleanning. I would think that the D70 does as well. I could be wrong.

Mike
Old Aug 12, 2005, 1:38 PM   #7

The D70 has a mirror lock up as well.
jayd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:53 PM   #8
Administrator

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mike,
Ken Rockwell states he believes the D50 to have a mirror lock up for killing vibration
but that the D70 and D70s don't. I would think any DSLR would have mirror lock up for cleaning, but what about these cameras for telephoto tripod work? Get the Pentax ist DS and Canon D350 XT out of my mind too, if you would.
Well, I think Ken is wrong about the D50. The D50, D70, and D70s do not have mirror lockup (except for cleaning purposes).

The Canon EOS-350D/Rebel XT does have mirror lockup for taking photos. This feature was missing on the original EOS-300D/Digital Rebel (but, it could be implemented via hacked firmware).

The Pentax *ist DShas MLU viaa self timer (as do the Konica-Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 5D and 7D models).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote