Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:30 PM   #1

Did a "home" test with the two cameras and was pretty surprised about the panasonic. I'm getting sick of lugging 20lbs of gear around and the fz15 has a zoom from 35-420mm with Image stablition. I know the noise sucks on the panasonic but hey this test I did showed it not to bad! As long as you stay under ISO 100! But for $375 bucks how can I not get one!
Attached Images

RyanDigitalBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:01 PM   #2

Whatever works for you and sates your photographic needs. Though ISO 100 is limiting once you find yourself in less than desirable lighting.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:37 AM   #3

Quite a subject to compare there, Ryan.

Try something you'd actually use the camera for, like say something where the subject actually moves where the electronic viewfinder of the Panasonic freezes up and you cannot frame it successfully, or in low light where ISO 100 might not be useable- image stabilization does you no good if your shutter speed isn't fast enough to stop motion. It's your $375, so buy one if you can't help it. About the only thing with Panasonic on it that I'd pay $375 for is a television.

I have to admit though, if I were to ever specialize in door knob photography it would merit serious consideration...
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:50 PM   #4

One of the most lame arguments I've seen. I saw your same post in the Panasonic forum and can only repeat that there is no comparison between the FZ and the D70 at any level. The lens on the FZ is not a Leica and OIS+ f2.8 can only take you so far. Noise is apparent at all ISO and artifacts abound. If it's what you need cool. But to come to the Nikon forum with this is pretty lame.
Coolmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:58 PM   #5

All that can be said is that Panasonic has better auto WB in low light.

I did a quick test of my own with Panasonic FZ10 vs. Nikon D50 and results were similar,
neither camera was able to get WB right as FZ10 was slightly too bluish and D50 too red.
Lights used in testing 11W fluorescent and 60W tungsten, creating a bad mixed lighting.

Panasonic FZ10 Nikon D50
  • [/*]
I didn't remove exif data so you can chek out settings there if you want.
D50 image is bit softer due the shallower DOF as i used same apereture in both images.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:24 PM   #6
Administrator

Guys, I just don't understand it. You're giving too much advantage to the Panasonic comparing it to a D70. You need to compare it to the new D2X using the best ED Glass Nikon makes using a more difficult subject and conditions.

I'm just teasing of course. ;-)

But, Lin Evans did take some photos comparing the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 to the Canon EOS-10D and Canon EOS-1DS a while back (using L glass for the photos with the Canons).

Lin said this:

Quote:
I was actually very happy with the performance of the FZ20. Some of these shots were late evening (bull elk) and some were under harsh sunlight. Most were difficult autofocus shots for all cameras. The FZ20 performed right up there with the very expensive 1DS and the mid-range dSLR 10D as I think you will see.
You can findthe commentswith links to the photos in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=172920

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 8:20 AM   #7

RyanDigitalBike wrote:
Quote:
Did a "home" test with the two cameras and was pretty surprised about the panasonic. I'm getting sick of lugging 20lbs of gear around and the fz15 has a zoom from 35-420mm with Image stablition. I know the noise sucks on the panasonic but hey this test I did showed it not to bad! As long as you stay under ISO 100! But for $375 bucks how can I not get one!
"As long as you stay under ISO 100!"

I photograph birds mainly in our garden and in therain forest. I am 75, retired and gave up birds photography for 20 years, tired of carrying heavy equipments. I used to have Nikon SLR and 400mm Nikkor tele when I were younger. When I saw the little cute FZ20 witn 420mm lens I bought one right away.

It could not do what I want it to do. Our garden is full of big trees with little light particularlynow isthe rainy season. The tropical forest around our place let little light go through. When I use Nikon SLRwith 400mm F4 lens and 400 ISOfilms it was ok. With the FZ20when I used ISO400 the pictures were hopeless.

If you live in places where the sun shines all day the FZ20 should be ok. Where we live I had to switch to D50 + 100-400VR. Yes it cost more and much heavier. But if you want to take bird pictures in the rain forest at dawn and dusk you need a camera that can do with ISO 400 or 800. ISO under 100 will not do.

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote