Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:19 AM   #1

Three weeks ago I have purchased the D70, with a standard lens. I have taken it out, shot a few hundred photo's the way I did with my previous dSLR. The results I got were substandard. Everything seemed a bit blurry and out of focus. Thinking that it may take a while to get used to the camera, I did a lot of experiments with it, different settings and yes I did read the entire manual.

I finally gave in and took it back to the store where I purchased it. The store offered to have it recallibrated, and I figured I would give them a chance to do that as well as possibly instruct me on taking photo's with D70.

A week and a half later, I got the camera back. I went out and took more shots. The best that I got is still not very good.

http://www.houseofthedragon.com/image/DSC_0046.JPG

I wish I could say that the camera focuses on objects other then what I select but typically when I look at the photo, even the sharpest part of the photo does not seem all that crisp.

I have heard nothing but good things about this camera, which is why I have attempted to correct anything that I may be doing wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions I could try? Otherwise I will have to say the camera is phooie and return it. :sad:
Ishamael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:25 AM   #2

Nikon D70
2005/08/18 04:34:55.1
JPEG (8-bit) Fine
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G
Focal Length: 70mm
Exposure Mode: Shutter Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/80 sec - F/7.1
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Optimize Image: Normal
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-S
Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB)
Tone Comp: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Normal
Sharpening: Auto
Image Comment:
Noise Reduction: OFF

Here are the details of the above photo.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:03 AM   #3

What do you find wrong with that photo?? It looks like focus is fine (the writing on the headstones is sharp and readable). What was your focal point?? If you were attempting a landscape scene where everything was in focus, you would need to select a smaller aperature. I onlyuse shutter priority when shooting sports or action photo's. I would need to see other examples in order to figure out what may be causing your issues.

Good Luck!!!
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:12 AM   #4

Why don't you try a photo with a less complex shapes, forms, shadows, colours?

Take your car in the sun for ex.
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:54 AM   #5

Remember that D70 doesn't really offer great results straight out of the camera,
little post processing is required to get shots what you are likely to see in the forums etc...

By the way, what was your previous dSLR?
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:32 PM   #6

Thank you for responding.

My previous dSLR was not really a true dSLR in it's form. I had a Fuji FinePix S602z
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...uji_s602z.html

Despite the lower pix, and lower price tag, I got what I consider a better focal resolution. In the picture I have posted I was aiming at capturing the color changing tree in the background. I typically take photo's of landscape, so keeping aperture as high as I can is typically my goal. I find that setting the camera to shutter priority and set it relatively low (around 1/80 or 1/60 depending on conditions). By doing it that way, I get the highest aperture without having to give it much thought.

I have played around a bit more with the camera and have found that setting the camera in Optimize Photo > Sharp has given be better results. What I have an issue with is that my old camera took crisper images with better color resolution at lesser amount of pix and a substantially lower price tag.

I hear only good things about the D70, yet I have found my old cheapy Fuji to give me better results. Those results being opinion based. What it boils down to is the question of: user incompetence, users high expectations, or camera not performing as intended.

(seems that my attachments are exceeding the limit by just a few bytes:sad: )

Old Aug 19, 2005, 1:17 PM   #7

Taking a photo like that is a tour de force in itself with the sun behind. I reckon you should experiment with bracketing and as another issue, did you use a polariser or any other filter like a neutral density? The difference between shadow and bright sun through the leaves and the bright skymakes this one very difficult shot to get right. I think the majority of photographers would be happy with the shot as taken given the hues, the lighting and the lighting contrast. Don't be too self critical!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:21 PM   #8

I went ahead and uploaded the shots I took that day to my server. One thing that I have noticed is that when I resize the photo using IrfanView the pictures somehow get sharper. So here I am scratching my head again.

If you would like to see my photo's, feel free to go to http://www.dominiksdomain.com/gallery/index.php

I must warn you, for some reason all of the photo's got turned sideways during upload. I have not figured out why, sorry. Click on the public album called New Album, select a photo and you can view the photo's.

Day is coming to an end an I still have my D70. The posts here are convincing me to keep it.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 4:27 PM   #9

What you need is a good photo editing software.
I'll suggest that you buy Photoshop Elements 3 or Paint Shop Pro 9.
There are some free alternatives ( like GIMP) available if money is an issue.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 5:27 PM   #10

I have a D70, and I am very satisfied with it.

I am not satisfied with the jpg comming out of the D70, I allways shoot in NEF+JPG.

I use Nikon Capture to print or convert to NEF to jpg (much better quality and control with the picture than in camara).

I believe Nikon Capture is the best digital darkroom for NEF files.

It is not a substitute for Photoshop Elements 3, Paint Shop Pro 9or other good tools, but it is very good to change white balance, remove noise, change sharpning, remove CA ect.

If you have not tried it you can download a 30 days trial from Nikon.

jsbaekke is offline   Reply With Quote