Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:11 AM   #1

There is no photo on the web I can find of the inside of the D100? I have seen the D100 parts list you can see the chassis but can't tell what it is made of. My bet there is no more metal in the D100 then in the D70? But the D70 is better camera for less money.I bet if chassis was metal Nikon would have photos of it on the web.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:37 AM   #2

I saw your posts on Dpreview and I still can't figure out why it's so important to see a metal part inside of the D100. You see the neck strap lugs on the sides of the camera? They are metal, and in order for them to have enough strength to withstand the weight of the camera plus a 70-200 or even a 300mm f/2.8 (not that anyone in their right mind would), is to have them anchored to a solid metal subframe. If it was anchored to plastic, even tough plastic, I reccon it would've broken two years ago after I got my 70-200. A camera doesn't have to be entirely made of a solid chunk of metal to have strength in the right places.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 3:58 PM   #3
DBB

marokero wrote:
Quote:
I saw your posts on Dpreview and I still can't figure out why it's so important to see a metal part inside of the D100. You see the neck strap lugs on the sides of the camera? They are metal, and in order for them to have enough strength to withstand the weight of the camera plus a 70-200 or even a 300mm f/2.8 (not that anyone in their right mind would), is to have them anchored to a solid metal subframe. If it was anchored to plastic, even tough plastic, I reccon it would've broken two years ago after I got my 70-200. A camera doesn't have to be entirely made of a solid chunk of metal to have strength in the right places.
Mr. Gasman is apparently VERY excited over this issue. The end of the world draws neigh - better get a metal D100 to photograph it... :lol:

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:04 AM   #4

Hi Gasman,

According to Thom Hogan in his review the D100 is based on the N-80 and F-100 film camera's. It does have a Magnesium chaise with a Polycarbonate body. It shares parts of the N-80 and F-100. I have A D-100 and I love everything about it. I would not give it up even for a D2X because I think it is just a better camera for what I like to do.

Go to http://www.bythom.com/d100.htm for review.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote