Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:24 PM   #1

Hi, I recently (less than 2month ago) purchased a Nikon D70 having in mind that I will travel to three really interesting destinations: Yellowstone, Seattle and St Thomas. I was also a big Nikon fan.
My problem is that as soon as I got my Nikon, after using it for a day or two, it died, and had to change it with a new one. This new one came with a big spot on all of my Yellowstone pictures. I have an extended warranty, so I took it for a sensor cleaning and went to Seattle, just to see that all my pics had five spots on them. I sent the camera again for cleaning and came back with "only" one spot. My next big trip is going to be in a week, in St Thomas. This time my camera was sent by Ritz store to some other place for cleaning... Anyway, my question is: why is this happening to an expensive camera? I don't change my lens (I have only one) and I didn't really use the camera in any dusty situations, and the camera is almost new!!!

I have to say I am very frustrated with this camera and actually I would like to take it back to the store and forget about it. Unfortunately that's impossible, because there is only a two week period for returns.

If any of you has this problem and found a way to fix it please let me know. I am just so disappointed to have so much trouble with a camera that's supposed to be a "pro". Also, spending hours in Photoshop trying to remove dust spots from thousands of pictures is not why I choose Nikon.

I will attach three of these pictures, one just after buying the camera and two after each "cleaning".

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Attached Images

andreea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:27 PM   #2

There are two more pictures I will attach, but I can't figure out a way to put them both in one message. Sorry.
Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:29 PM   #3

Here is a picture taken with the new camera.
Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:26 PM   #4

That is dirt/dust on the CCD filter or on the rear element of your lens. Although you can clean it yourself, I don't recommend it. If you use a brush, you could leave loose bristles inside the camera resulting in more spots than you started with. If you use canned air to blow it out, you could easily damage the mirror which is extremely thin and fragile.

Preventive measures are the best solution. Minimize the amount of time there is no lens or body cap on the camera. Point the camera down when changing lenses. If it is windy or dusty, find a sheltered place to change lenses. The beach is probably not a good location.

It might cost you a few dollars (read that $40!) to have a camera shop clean it but it's their responsibility if they damage the mirror.

I just reread your original post and based on your history with the camera, I am inclined to think either the shop doesn't know how to properly clean the camera body, or the dirt is on the lens (rear, body end). Dust or dirt on the front of the lens probably won't show unless it's really bad.

Good luck to you.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:13 PM   #5

Thanks Cal.

Andreea
Old Aug 26, 2005, 9:10 AM   #6
DBB

You can pay forty books and have a professional do it. You can also learn how to do this yourself. While at first a pain in the butt, after a while it is simply a matter of routine. It takes me fifteen minutes, and the less you change lenses, the better.

Here's one site that gives instrcutions. I haven't checked this site, I've noticed that each person who does this has their own method...:lol:

There are dangers involved in cleaning a sensor - but this assumes you have no instructions and are off on your own.

If you follow simple precautions they are not a problem. I' e never come close to hurting my sensor and because of heavy use have done this quite often.

Here's a link to a page:
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:47 PM   #7

Thanks Dave.