Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:01 PM   #1

I have with curiousity been following the debate reg. the new D50 that aparently has lower noise than even the EOS 350D at ISO 1600.

Now I wonder, has anyone made a detatailed comparision/investigation into whatever it actually has a revised sensor chip or if it just applies more processing to kill noise (and detail??).

I would also like to know if anyone has spotted a review, where the D50 and D70(s) are compared with the same high quality optics.
Webmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2005, 1:02 PM   #2

I thought the D50 had the same sensor but different processing engine. The noise reduction is more aggressive than on the 70, but the detail isn't as crisp either. The kit lens with the 50 is also poorer than the lovely one you get with the 70.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 2:24 AM   #3

D50 has a different sensor than D70(s) but Nikon has not published any more spesific details.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:10 PM   #4

Hey Guys, and thanks for you replies.

These 2 shots of the building sure looks a lot better and more detailed on the D70s, but the same RAW conversion software was not used :sad:

http://steves-digicams.com/2005_revi...C_0492_NEF.jpg

http://steves-digicams.com/2005_revi...C_0136_NEF.JPG

I wonder if one shoots in RAW, will the differences between the D50 and D70s be smaller????
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:48 PM   #5

Those test shots are not really comparable as the shooting conditions were not identical.
However one conclusion can be made, the D50 doesn't suffer from moire as badly as D70(s)
Old Sep 15, 2005, 8:13 PM   #6

Shred wrote:
Quote:
Those test shots are not really comparable as the shooting conditions were not identical.
However one conclusion can be made, the D50 doesn't suffer from moire as badly as D70(s)
This is why I really wish someone would do a mexican standoff showdown between the 2 cameras.....
Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:59 PM   #7

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...T_images.shtml

might help
finalcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:15 PM   #8

Iown a D70s and have never experienced "moire." Could you post a pic showing same?

[I bought the D70s over the D100 because it had a highertop flash sync speed (1/500 sec).]

amateurdabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:14 AM   #9

D70, D70s and D50 are all likely to produce moire in certain conditions,
D50 has more aggressive low pass filter so there is less moire but tad less sharpness.

Moire is not usually a problem and it can be corrected afterwards if you have orginal raw file,
JPG that suffers from moire is harder to clean and the results may be far from satisfactory.

Want to see moire?
Check out the DCRP Review of D70s, more spesific these two fulls size sample images: 2 and 5.
D50 isn't free from moire either see this worst case scenario i managed to capture last summer.
(i would like to see the same taken with D70(s) in jpeg, it must be horrible sight)

Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:14 PM   #10

amateurdabbler wrote:
Quote:
[I bought the D70s over the D100 because it had a highertop flash sync speed (1/500 sec).]

Just for interest the 1/500 sec only applies when using the built in flash or a Nikon dedicated flash. Because the D70 has a mechanical and electrical shutter with manual flash it will sync at any speed. I've used shutter speeds of 1/750 and 1/1000.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote