Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 27, 2003, 6:55 PM   #1

Default Nikon Repairs Abusive!

Have you had problems dealing with Nikons repair service? I am curious. I recently sent a camera (d1x) in for the upgrade and put a quick note it
asking for a price on repairing the functioning but loose firewire connector. Nikon gave me a 700.00 repair estimate to repair a connector! I declined
because it still works, it's just loose as it always has been.... The connector has always been a weak point on these cameras. Nikon is refusing to do
the upgrade, unless I fork over the money to have them replace my connector! This is Blackmail!!! I just was curious on the cost . The camera
functions perfectly except the firewire connection is and always has been a little loose in my opinion. A few months back I had grumbled to a friend
of mine who has been a tech consultant for Apple for a very long time about the looseness of the connector and he stated that there are certain
standards products must meet with regards to the functionality of their connectors etc. He said this connector clearly did not meet this standard and I
could probably sue Nikon over this. Has anyone ever taken them to court and won?

Thanks

Rob
RobBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:17 AM   #2

I don't know where you are located, so this might not apply.

I've read some bad things about Nikon UK's repair department. But nothing this bad (slow turn around time, bad CCD cleaning. Slight rudeness on the phone.) I have no experience with either the US or UK repair departments. Knock on wood.

As for sueing. They have such deep pockets they could bleed you dry if they wanted. They could also clame that it worked perfectly when they shipped it. "If it didn't, he should have returned it then. Why didn't he?" I doubt you'd get very far, but you could try. The PR black eye (epsecially if they treated you really badly) could be used as a weapon against them.....

I don't really know, but more of my mental wonderings seem to end up with it being a loosing proposition.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 11:25 AM   #3

Hmmmm but what about your up to 3 years warrenty service?? Is your warrenty expired already? or never pay warrenty extended?? <sigh> OUCH costly without warrenty!

I think anyone who open D1X as mistake broke connector then ask you need new one costly. That is bad job and blackmail for $$$$ oh gee!!!

I wish you should have warrenty and they have to fix new one and no charge as camera look like new!

Oh well.. good luck for sue and court but who pay your expert laywer? oh gee!
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 6:10 PM   #4
DOC

I have never had any problem with Nikon USA service, and have been using Nikon since the 1960's. Last November my new D100 (6 weeks old) developed a power failure to the digital circuits (camera functions woked ok). After a phone call to the New York repair facility I sent the camera via FedEx overnight to New York on a Monday and received it back Thursday afternoon working perfectly.
Also received three calls from the facility from the service mgr. and the technician during the repair and then a call again the day after I received it to make sure it was ok and I was satisfied. No I do not work for them and I am the first to admit their weaknesses.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 9:59 AM   #5

Speaking of extended warranties, what is everyone's view on them? I've heard of two companies, the old "Mack" warranty and one "RepairTech" (based in NJ). I've also noticed prices vary widely, like $150-$500 for a 3 year warranty on a 2-3k type camera like the D100. Are they worthwhile? Thanks.
allenlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 6:30 PM   #6

I'm glad to hear your experience with Nikon service Doc as my D100 is presently winging it's way back to Nikon even as I type. The autofocus gave out. Everything is working fine with the rest of the body, but the AF illuminator isn't working and the autofocus does nothing.

I did invest in a Mack warranty with my D100. It ran $85 and added three years to the warranty. I've had several Mack warranties through the years, and had them payoff a couple of times. I had a CPU blow on one of my lenses recently, it would have been really expensive through Nikon, lens warranties are really inexpensive, so I got my monies worth.

Mack warranties tend to run cheap because they don't really provide full coverage. They only cover manufacturing defects (much like the Nikon warranty). Some of the warranties out there cover damage from just about anything. ESP warranties from Ritz Camera for instance cover everything except fire or theft, but run over $300 per year for the D100.
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 12:13 PM   #7

Jim,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Repair work can be way too costly. (sometimes I feel I should have gotten into camera repairs for a living. :roll: )

I have had good experiences with Nikons repairs. Time takes a while, but they do good work. All Manufacturers have high repair prices.

Allen, as far as extended warranties, it is a product like any other. Look at it with an open mind and an inquisitive nature. It seems that they cover very very little (for not much money), or as Jim pointed out, they cover everything (at a lot more money). The thing about warranties is that you are paying extra money only to hope that you never have to use it. Still $300 is better than $700.

P.S. Take my opinion on the warranties with a grain of salt, I sell the darn things, and of course I see the value in them. I would always buy them, but that's just me.
CaptJakeBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 9:16 PM   #8

Thanks for the concern Capt. It didn't go too badly...and the warranty was still in operation. The whole process took 13 days from the day they received the body to the day it was back in my hands (they returned it via UPS Next Day Air). My only complaint was that they didn't do a very good job of keeping me informed of what happened to it, or the repair progress. In the end, the only information I have is that it was a "Moderate repair, with major component replacement". This was my first time dealing with Nikon Service in nearly twenty years, overall it was a pretty good experience.
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 4:55 PM   #9

Default what D100 problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
I have never had any problem with Nikon USA service, and have been using Nikon since the 1960's. Last November my new D100 (6 weeks old) developed a power failure to the digital circuits (camera functions woked ok). After a phone call to the New York repair facility I sent the camera via FedEx overnight to New York on a Monday and received it back Thursday afternoon working perfectly.
Also received three calls from the facility from the service mgr. and the technician during the repair and then a call again the day after I received it to make sure it was ok and I was satisfied. No I do not work for them and I am the first to admit their weaknesses.
What digital circuit problem did you develop? I just discovered my D100 LCD wasn't working (wouldn't bring up menu or show images), and it doesn't seem to recognize that a card is in the slot. It does contiinue to focus and meter and "act" like it's taking pictures. I took it back to the store where I bought it today and they sent it to Nikon for me today. It's still under warranty but I wonder if its the same problem.
mhler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 4:50 PM   #10
DOC

The symptoms you describe are the same ones i experienced.
Failure of my D100 occured immediatly (out of the box) after I received it back from Nikon for a firmware upgrade. Although Nikon
service performed admirably in my case they were very vague as to the exact cause and during two of the phone conversations I had the impression they did not know what happened. Since then the camera has worked perfectly. When I received the camera back from the "upgrade center" (not Mellville N. Y.) I found the camera in a plastic bag that had opened on one end allowing the bag to fill with styrofoam peanuts. These peanuts have a large amount of static in them and may have affected the electronics is my best guess.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote