Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:57 PM   #1

Looking for some advice on the color mode to use in the D70. I have the camera set to type II, which is Adobe RGB, via the menu. When I then use Nikon Capture to process the raw images, it is showing as being captured in type Ia, and I have to then manually change to type II. During processing, it appears to me that the type II Adobe has truer colors. Am I missing a step on the camera menu to get it to shoot in type II? Also, what is the general opinion on what mode is best to use for shooting.

Thanks!
DigitalConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:03 AM   #2
DBB

DigitalConvert wrote:
Quote:
Looking for some advice on the color mode to use in the D70. I have the camera set to type II, which is Adobe RGB, via the menu. When I then use Nikon Capture to process the raw images, it is showing as being captured in type Ia, and I have to then manually change to type II. During processing, it appears to me that the type II Adobe has truer colors. Am I missing a step on the camera menu to get it to shoot in type II? Also, what is the general opinion on what mode is best to use for shooting.

Thanks!
I have neither Nikon Capture or a D70, although the D2x, which I use seems to have the same options.

If you set it on Mode II than most likely the problem is with Nikon Capture, not the camera.

As for whether it makes sense to shoot in Adobe 98, yes it does. If you se Photoshop, and load in a 98 picture and then CHANGE it to sRGB, you will see a loss of color and quality when you cahnge the profile.

There is only one problem - When you send such an image to another person, not all programs take advantage of Adobe 98 and will therefore convert the image to another mode when they load.

So you might send an image of perfection and the other person might not appreciate it. usually there is not THAT much of a difference - but sometimes there is a big difference.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote