Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 12, 2005, 7:21 PM   #1

I have been shooting digital for nearly a year, but until I purchased my D70 last month, I had never shot in RAW mode. Now that I have a camera that can process RAW pictures faster than I can think, I would like to start using this format. My question: is my only option to use Nikon Capture to view and edit RAW files from my D70, or is there a free alternative out there?

-Blake

P.S.How is Nikon Capture as far as image editors are concerned?
GWHayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:02 AM   #2

Nikon View is available as a free download from the Nikon Website It has a browser, viewer and an editor.It's a reasonable RAW editor, not as good as PhotoShop CS in general although for some shots it's quicker to get good results with Nikon View than with PhotoShop. I've also found Nikon View goes very slowly if you open more than one picture at a time in the editing program.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I think Nikon View actually came with my CoolPix 8700, so I'll have to dig that disk out.

-Blake
GWHayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 2:39 PM   #4
DBB

Nikon View, Nikon capture are both programs that give you the time to master the fine art of exotic coffee brewing.

The newest version of PS is SOOOOOOOO slow, only about five times as fast as Nikon's programs. I find Photoshop useable, Nikon's programs, for someone who shoots between 500 hundred and a thousand pictures a week are less than useless.

If Nikon's was the ONLY software around, much as I love the camera, I'd dump it. I will admit that they produce high quality work, although no better than Bibble and only marginally better than CS.

Bibble gets high marks for quality and is faster than CS.

There are a dozen other programs, but they all cost money.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:29 PM   #5

I think that RawShooter|Essentials is a great program for RAW files and it's free. (unlimited DEMO)
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote