Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:43 PM   #1

I recently bought another digital camera, a Nikon D70S. I shoot alot of sports, and I'm alittle confused by the information on single servo vs continous servo. The manual states the following:

AF-S (Single)"If the subject was moving when the shutter release button was pressed haflway, the camera will track subject until focusing is complete(Predictive focus tracking)...

AF-C(Continous)"If the subject moves, foucus will be adjusted to compensate.(Predictive focus tracking)"

So which mode would be better for a situation where a football player is running directly at you, and you want to shoot a series of shots highspeed? Advanced thanks!
Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2005, 6:55 AM   #2

The biggest difference between AF-S and AF-C is that in AF-S the camera will only fire if it has locked focus. In AF-C when you press the shutter button all the way down the camera fires regardless of whether the camera is focused or not.

I've also read that in AF-S the focus will track a moving subject but only lock when the subject stops moving. If this is true then you would definitely need AF-C for a footbal game.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 8:17 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a shot, I have a soccer game and a football game to shoot Sat. morning and afternoon.. I'll experiment alittle.
Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:22 AM   #4
DBB

Nagasaki wrote:
Quote:

I've also read that in AF-S the focus will track a moving subject but only lock when the subject stops moving. If this is true then you would definitely need AF-C for a footbal game.
Not quite

When you press the button half way with continious focus, the camera will continue to refocus on the target, whether it's moving or still. Obviously if the target is still, no further refocusing will take place.

Will the other method, the camera will focus and lock, with the button half way pressed, and if the target moves the focus will not shift.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote