Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:47 AM   #1

I finally decided to get the D70s. Only thing now I am not sure whether to get the kit or go for something like Sigma 18-125 or 18-200. Is it worth it getting the kit and one of the Sigma's? I intend to shoot mainly sceeneries and potraits. Also can someone suggest a good lense for potrait and macro's?

Thanks in advance.
neokenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:23 AM   #2

The kit lens is wonderful. It is an ideal walk-around lens, with decent speed. If you need more length, then the 18-125 is a decent optic. If you want a fast, pro caliber lens, then check out the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX. For around $430, you won't find a lens with it's speed or sharpness. If a 28mm equiv wide angle isn't that important to you, then check out the 24-70 f/2.8 EX. It can be had for under $400. IMO, start off with the kit lens...it's great!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:09 PM   #3

SlapNTickleJr : Can you help me ??, If I can use the Nikon extention tube PK-13 27.5 on the D70- with the kit lens 18/70 mm ???? I try with Manual mode but is not working ... from Panama. Carlitin :?
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:04 AM   #4

The PK-13 should work fine with the kit lens. It should auto focus and everything. Have you tried manually focusing? For macro work manually focusing is best anyway. Best of luck!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 4:42 AM   #5

SlapNTickleJr : Thanks for your comments, I try , but when I put hte extension tube PK-13 and the 18/70 mm and turn on the D70, in the screen your can see... F - - - -, and seid no lens acopled.. and the camera can┬┤t take the pic. do you thing, maybe the PK-13 is not for the D70 ????... Carlitin :?
Old Oct 2, 2005, 7:23 AM   #6

It has no electrical connections on that tube. You will have to focus manually and use a meter for exposure. Use the lens widest appeture for the exposure starting point.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:08 AM   #7

ReneB3 : Thaks for your replay, inthe Nikon lens/Nikon macro lens y put a mesage and a pic, how to use the extension tube, I will start to experiment with thath. :roll:
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:48 PM   #8

The Sigma 18-50┬* 2.8 is a great value. I didn't realize that low light was going to be so much of a problem with the D70, but when ASA200 is the lowest it goes, you need to be prepared.2.8 still doesn't quite cut it for me in the indoor situations I shoot.The 3.5 lense kits are fine for outdoor and close flash.Can I get an affordable lense for shooting indoor, low light, large room photos?
MrSnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:29 AM   #9

Actually, the maximum ASA/ISO is 1600 on the D70, so you can still increase it considerably (at the cost of noise) for low-light shooting. 2.8 should be OK much of the time if you increase the ASA a bit. Otherwise, consider a 35mm f2.0 prime or a 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 prime for affordable low-light lenses.

MrSnak wrote:
Quote:
The Sigma 18-50 2.8 is a great value. I didn't realize that low light was going to be so much of a problem with the D70, but when ASA200 is the lowest it goes, you need to be prepared.2.8 still doesn't quite cut it for me in the indoor situations I shoot.The 3.5 lense kits are fine for outdoor and close flash.Can I get an affordable lense for shooting indoor, low light, large room photos?
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote