Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 4, 2002, 9:54 PM   #11

Default D-100 with AF-D or normal lens?

Hi steve,
what if i use the more affordable AF-D or AF lenses from nikon, will it be more inferior in AF compared to Canon using their best lenses?

yowsiang
yowsiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 5:57 PM   #12
Administrator

The D100 is an excellent AF performer with either AF-S or AF-D type lenses. It is quicker with the latest technology AF-S lenses but it's no slouch with older lenses, it performs quite well with my 24-120mm D lens.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2002, 4:43 AM   #13

Default Difference between AF and AF-D lens

Hi Steve,
Could you enlighten me the difference between af and af-d lens? I understand af-d means distance measuerment through the lens, does it mean its like prosumer sony f707 camera that meters through the lens? what about the AF lens? how does it meter?

yowsiang
yowsiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2002, 6:14 AM   #14
NHL

USB 2.0 is a H/W chip, ie can not be upgrade with firmware upgrade; However the problem can be bypassed by the use of a firewire or USB 2.0 card reader...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2002, 1:48 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by yowsiang
Hi Steve,
Could you enlighten me the difference between af and af-d lens? I understand af-d means distance measuerment through the lens, does it mean its like prosumer sony f707 camera that meters through the lens? what about the AF lens? how does it meter?

yowsiang

The Nikkor AF D type lenses have a CPU chip in them that sends the distance to subject meaurement back to the camera for better flash exposure calculations.

AF S type lenses use the SilentWave focusing motors and also have the CPU in them.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote