Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 1, 2002, 9:38 AM   #1

Default D100 Review Conclusion?

I noticed that Steve pulled his conclusion from the D100 review. I hope this is not an indication of a newly discovered problem with the camera. I've been reading a lot of information regarding write times and "soft images". Any cause for concern?
DigiBOb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:07 PM   #2

Hi DigiBob,

As far as the soft images, unfortunately, it is becoming known that several D100 users just don't know how to use their brand new DSLR and/or are picking rather monotonous objects to take pics of, which makes it hard to be excited.

For those who have been around a while, this happened about a year and a half ago, when the revolutionary Olympus E-10 came out. Many people didn't know how to manually focus, and wanted the camera to do everything for them. Well, with the D100, its owners are getting a big surprise as well. Just because you put it on "AUTO", does not guarantee a great photo.

The D100 Beta photos that were released were quite good, and Les Freed posted some of his D100 photos which are quite nice as well. As more D100 cameras fall into experienced and knowledgable hands, I think we will all see just what the D100 is capable of.

About the write times, I haven't heard any complaints, other than someone complaining about how long TIFF files are to write to their CF card, and then didn't clarify he was talking about TIFF files--naturally, a few people freaked out, but most kept their headcaps attached. TIFF files take a long time to write on any camera, because they are so much larger. I never use TIFF anyway, and prefer RAW or JPEG.

P.S. I hope I haven't offended any D100 owners, but it's just what I've been seeing lately on their PBase albums and other websites. It will take some time to get used to the camera, and many are upgrading from P&S cameras.

- JB
Jason Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:14 PM   #3
Administrator

Well that was a total boo-boo on my part as only part of the conclusion has been written and none of it was supposed to be posted yet. We have not yet recv'd a production level D100 so it is not appropriate to conclude a review of this importance until we can use the same camera that all of you will be using.

So far I have almost nothing to complain about except the lack of USB 2.0 and a PC sync connector. Other than that it is most impressive, especially the AF speed with an AF-S lens, and the images look great.

As others have commented, you don't just pick up a dSLR and start making Ansel Adams quality photos - it does take a little getting used to like any camera. So don't be too hard on the lucky few posting their first images from a new D100.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:32 PM   #4

Default Report: S2..D100

As far as I have seen, no-one has done a real post production side by side test yet! Everyone's waiting, even me!
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 1:16 AM   #5

Default D100 has been out in singapore

Just wondering how come the post-production camera take such a long time to be available in USA, because here in singapore I have already seen people using it, too bad for me, am still saving up for the d100.
yowsiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 10:26 AM   #6

Default Question for Steve

Is USB 2 use something they could address with a firmware upgrade?
TheeBadOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 11:14 AM   #7
Administrator

Apparently Nikon is more interested in getting the product out to the buying public. Lucky for you guys!

We should have one shortly and will be able to properly conclude our review but I can tell you now that it will be most positive. The D100 is very impressive, especially at the $1999 price point!

I just feel that it should have had the faster USB 2.0 in lieu of no FireWire. USB 2.0 is not some thing that can be added by firmware, it is a hardware difference. Most users will have a card reader anyway so it is kind of a moot point I guess.

-Steve

[Edited on 7-4-2002 by steve]
Old Jul 4, 2002, 3:43 PM   #8

Steve,

Since you've done studio work you're probably thinking about the times when the camera would be attached directly to a computer. Then the lack of USB 2.0 or Firewire support makes a big difference.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 6:15 PM   #9

Default Is the D100 faster than the Canon D60

Hi Steve,
Do you have any idea is the D100 faster is AF or the D60?

Also which camera lens are affordable, could you help me buy giveing a simple comparison?

Lastly which of this camera is more suitable for events and wedding shoot? Or none at all?

Thanks alot steve.
yowsiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 9:11 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by wsandman1
Steve,

Since you've done studio work you're probably thinking about the times when the camera would be attached directly to a computer. Then the lack of USB 2.0 or Firewire support makes a big difference.

Bill

No - I just don't think any digicam that creates four megapixel or bigger images should be equipped with the old and slow 1.1 standard. The D100 creates six megapixel images and many D100 users will also be using a 1GB Microdrive. It takes forever to unload a 1GB Microdrive or even a 512MB CF card with USB 1.1.

If Nikon doesn't want to give us FireWire then they can at least use the better USB standard - it is fully backward compatible with USB 1.1 so it wouldn't leave anybody out.

And yes, the D100 (with an AF-S lens) is noticeably quicker AF than the D60 with the best Canon lens.

-Steve