Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:34 AM   #1

Anybody here getting that msg yet?
I've been getting it with the first D2X we bought. The second one has not done it yet.

rickmphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:22 AM   #2

Nope thankfully, but I am getting very upset by out of focus shots. I bought this camera for motor racing purposes yet got better results with my D70 at times. I have tried all kinds of settings and some are good, some downright awful. My F5 and F90X were way better. Anyone else had this problem? I was using mostly the 200/400 F4 and the 70/200 F2.8 (sometime4s with TC20E). Perhaps it could be me? I have tried all kinds of settings though and find no change.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:20 AM   #3

I have had my D2X for about 3 or 4 months now and I must say I don't think the shots are very sharp. I figured it was me and I just needed to figure out what I was doing or setting wrong. cameranserai, what settings have you had the best luck with? I want to double check mine and see how they compare.

This past weekend I did a protrait shoot in Yosemite for a girl's senior pictures. The poses and backgrounds are awesome, but the clarity was a bit diasappointing. I also thought I would try shooting at ISO 400 and get faster shutter speeds to help sharpen things up. I was shocked at how much noise I had in my photos. I didn't spend $5000 for a camera to take crappy pictures. I really need to figure out what is going wrong :?
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:25 AM   #4

Please keep my post on topic.
Sharpness is not a concern of mine with our D2X's

rickmphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:27 AM   #5
DBB

dboarder wrote:
Quote:
I have had my D2X for about 3 or 4 months now and I must say I don't think the shots are very sharp. I figured it was me and I just needed to figure out what I was doing or setting wrong. cameranserai, what settings have you had the best luck with? I want to double check mine and see how they compare.

This past weekend I did a protrait shoot in Yosemite for a girl's senior pictures. The poses and backgrounds are awesome, but the clarity was a bit diasappointing. I also thought I would try shooting at ISO 400 and get faster shutter speeds to help sharpen things up. I was shocked at how much noise I had in my photos. I didn't spend $5000 for a camera to take crappy pictures. I really need to figure out what is going wrong :?
The D2x, apparently because of the density of receptors is more sensitive to movement, camera shake, etc, than other machines.

As for the question of noise - this was a big issue with me until I discovered that here too, the D2x does not like underexposure at the higher ISO's.

On both of these matters I have adjusted my shooting with excellent results.

Personally I shoot NEF, with sharpening OFF, Color Mode II. And I've become quite content with the camera.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:55 AM   #6

Thanks for the info DBB. I'll check my settings and give it another try. I did notice after loading all of my pics on to the computer that I had EV set to -.33 I don't remember changing that so I must have pressed soemthing accidentally

I also shoot in Raw all of the time. It has saved my butt more than once. I really want to get to the point where I can feel confident enough to shoot in JPEG if the situation requires though.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:14 AM   #7

Sorry rickmphoto for getting off topic. I have not seen the ERR msg on my D2X yet and hope I don't. That is way too much money to be spending and have problems. I haven't heard of anyone else having errors either. Have you checked at Nikonians to see if anyone there has had any problems?