Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 2, 2003, 11:44 AM   #1

Default D100 Newbie Q#1 - CSM Noise Reduction

Ok, after doing a lot of research and reading reviews and looking at pic quality, I made the move to a D100. I had a 950 before and was happy with it, so Nikon was a natural choice.

But the controls on this camera are astounding.. I am still working my way through the users manual to figure it all out! Naturally, I have a few questions, so I will asking for your advice.

Q#1 - I was playing with the various custom settings when I read that CSM4 can be used to reduce noise at shutter speeds of less than 1/2 sec. So, I figured, why not set it on? (assuming it would not be on at speeds above 1/2 sec). It was not until a while later, that I noticed that the camera buffer was always at r03 instead of r06 - regardless of what speed the shutter was at! I sort of figured this 'feature' would only kick in at speeds below 1/2 sec like the manual stated. Now, I am not sure if it is always on or not, but why the heck is my buffer reduced if indeed it is not being used at speeds above 1/2 sec?
Pilaar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:17 AM   #2

The NR (Noise Reduction) feature works by (I think I've got this right) taking 2 images. One correctly exposed, and one dark. It superimposes the black over the correctly exposed image to eliminate the noise that shows up in exposures longer than 1/2 sec. It will still do the same thing on faster exposures but with little or no effect to the image, but it still eats buffer and slows transfer times to the CF.

I do not turn on the NR feature unless I need it. I also use the Anti-Vibration feature with it as well on long exposures. I have used this comination of features many times with great success. Just remember to turn them off when you are done.
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:24 AM   #3

Joe.. thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand how it works, my confusion was that it was supposed to only work at speeds less than 1/2 sec.. so I was hoping to simply leave it on and not have it take effect until the camera was shooting at those low speeds. I did not think the camera would 'reserve' the buffer space when it was not actually being used. But I guess that is not how it works.

Thanks for your reply.
Pilaar39 is offline   Reply With Quote