Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:16 PM   #1

Hi all - first time posting.... be gentle...

I've got a D70 that I've owned for "the length of the warranty" plus aboot 2 weeks, and it has, of course, now chosen to go titsup on me.

It's a D70, and the problem I'm having is that it can no longer seem to meter correctly.
When I try to compose a photo (pressing the shutter button) it:
- flashes the "ISO Auto" part of the display with a steady on/off rhythm
- starts to flip through values for shutter speed and aperture seemingly randomly (although it will many times settle the aperture on F4 {on a 2.8-32 lens})
- constantly dims/brightens the display through the viewfinder, but not at a steady rhythm like the ISO Auto indicator.

....and if it's not obvious, it cannot take photos worth mentioning (it's last-ever photo is here (http://www.ocnav.com/images/DSC_2886.jpg) - what should have been a sunrise in my side mirror)

I have tried all shooting modes (same)
I have tried multiple lenses (same)
I have updated the firmware (from 1.2 to 2 - no fix)

And of course, I am now 30 days away from the vacation of lifetime (heading to Rangiroa) and face the potential of not having this camera.

I will be sending it off to Nikon in the AM, but just wanted to log on here and see if anyone had any suggestions, even if it's another forum to check out.

I am not impressed by this camera - at all. Both in the construction of this thing, the washed-out photos it takes, and now the longevity. Maybe I just got a lemon, but I've got a $179 Fuji that takes better photos than my D70/Nikkor and 1/10th the price. I love my F5, but Nikon really can't do digital. I told myself that I had to go Nikon because of the lenses I owned - now I may just ditch it all and go Cannon.

Maybe I did get a lemon - I was in Muir woods last month with a friend with the same camer/lens combo, and we'd take photos side-by-side and his were clear and vivid, and mine looked like prints that had been left in the sun for a month.

TIA
Don
johnny-longtorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Administrator

Check the latest Nikon advisory to see if your camera's serial numberis impacted.

D70 owners sometimes havethese kinds of problems, right before their camera finally quits with what's come to be known as BGLOD (Blinking Green Light of Death).

You'll see a link to a .pdf format advisory on our Breaking News page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...html#nikon_adv

If it's not listed, then another problem may be causing your issues. I'd make sure to try a different battery and memory card if you have access to one. I'd also use all dials, switches and buttons to make sure a bit of oxidation didn't form under a contact somewhere causing a bad or shortedconnection.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:15 PM   #3

Thanks Jim -
While I have not tried another battery, I have tried another piece of CF media (my primary being a MicroDrive). No changes. I should also mention that I reset all menus to default as part of this as well. No changes.

I tried to wear the battery down / charge it back up, but it's nearly impossible - this camera has about a year on "stand-by" battery! I left it sit for a week while powered on.

I've looked at the visible contacts inside the camera - all appear fine. I've worked all the controls - none feel stiff or gritty. I've used the bulb setting to lock up the mirror while I peek aboot inside the body - no idea what I'm looking at, but there's no visible obstructions and nothing bouncing around in there.

I did take a look at that latest advisory and it does not appear to address the issue I am having.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:20 PM   #4
Administrator

johnny-longtorso wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Jim -
While I have not tried another battery, I have tried another piece of CF media (my primary being a MicroDrive). No changes. I should also mention that I reset all menus to default as part of this as well. No changes.
Microdrive, huh?

That would have been my first guess as to the problem if you would have mentioned that earlier. Is it Hitachi, or are you usinga Magicstor (known to have problems in some cameras, and often not consistent when problems occur)?

Magicstor is on my "avoid list" for media.

But, if you're already tried another Compactflash card (other than a microdrive), then that shouldn't be it (unless it caused a component failure in the camera).

Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:34 PM   #5

It's an IBM. The "standard" CF is a Ritz re-branded Lexar unit. If it's not obvious from the sample image, I've taken just shy of 3000 photos to date (all on the MicroDrive). Just did a quick scan of the MD under Windoze (and reformat) and it appears to be healthy.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:40 PM   #6
Administrator

I've moved thisthread down to our Nikon DSLR Forum whereD70 owners may or may nothave some more suggestions.

You said you looked at the contacts in the camera. Did you look closely for bent or broken pins in the CF compartment, too (unlikely to be causing your symptoms, but you never know about these things).

I would make sure to try a diffferent battery if you can get access to one first. Voltage problemscan cause a camera to malfunction. You maybe able to find a dealer close by that has one you can try in it. Just because it's holding a charge doesn't meanthere's not a problem with it.

Other than these, I'm out of suggestions other than sending it back to Nikon

Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:17 PM   #7

I will stop at the local store and try a battery.

In re: the CF pins - everything looks healthy in there.

You continuing comments appreciated!
Old Oct 6, 2005, 6:33 AM   #8

Thanks for the advice, the camera is on it's way to Nikon for triage.....

Great forum here, I will have to do some lurking.

Cheers-
Don
Old Oct 28, 2005, 2:46 PM   #9

RESOLVED

I am happy to report that my D70 has returned from Nikon repair after just 13 days round trip (sent overnight to repair)

The cost to me was $0 - even though the warranty officially expired aboot 6 months ago.

The repair ticket reads as follows:
RPL METERING FPC
ADJ AUTO FOCUS OPERATION
CLN CCD
GENERAL CHECK & CLEAN

I called twice to get the status of my repair, and while I had to wait on the line for several minutes, the folks were extremely courteous and helpful. I am glad I spent my money with Nikon.

Cheers-
Don
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:48 AM   #10

Had (may still have) the exact same problem, called 24h nikon tech support, he recommended hard reseting the camera (a very small push button on the bottom of the camera). Press that little button while the camera is on, wait for display to blink a message "Clock".

After doing that, the camera looked a lot more stable. need to test it over the next week, and hopefully, I won't see it again.

-jehodar
>6000 pictures on my D70 and still counting.
jehodar is offline   Reply With Quote