Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2003, 8:22 AM   #1

Default D100 an amateur camera?

I've read that the D100 is an "amateur" camera in a few places, but with a $2,000 price tag that seems wrong to me. That just seems well beyond what an "amateur" will spend. (I view it more as the entry level "Pro" camera.)

Now, it should be said that I have never used a "Pro" camera (the best I've touched is a 8008 and an old Canon AE-1.) So I don't have any experience here.

What makes this an amateur camera? Metering modes? Ability to drive auto-focus? Only 2 1/2 frames per second? (Not that the D1X is much faster.) What do people think?
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2003, 9:24 AM   #2

I guess it depends on your definition of "pro". If by pro you mean someone who makes a living, or at least derives a great percentage of income through photography, then he/she is a pro in my view. I have ordered a D100 to shoot weddings to accompany the film cameras as well. The D100 can shoot 3fps up to only 4 NEF's, which might be a reason why some do not consider the D100 a "pro" camera - the D1x can take 14 NEF's with the upgraded buffer. But for my needs, the D100 should sufice, and with a fast CF, the next available slot in the D100's buffer should come in less than 6 seconds. A larger buffer would have been desirable, but then I think it might have nudged against the D1x But don't forget that the camera is only part of the equation, the lens should be an even more important purchase since it's going to be with you for future digital/film bodies.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:48 AM   #3

I had two dslr: d1H and D100, I see that D1H seem PRO as features and little bit complicate setup. D100 is very easy setup.

Why price difference? D1h/d1x body are heavy and 100% features even bracket has red light when you press shutter release button. D100 body is light and smaller size like Nikon n80 body. 75% features from d1h/x. No red light bracket, It just only bold black square (bracket) and best battery so longer.

Make sense to you??
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 8:47 PM   #4

marokero

My definiton of a "Pro" camera is one with the necessary features for a "Pro" photographer (one who makes a living using a camera.) Since both the D1X and D1H are "Pro" cameras, what do they have (which is significant) that the D100 lacks? When I saw the amateur label put on the D100, it didn't make sense to me, so I thought I'd try to learn something and ask about this.

A larger buffer would have been very desireable, and considering the cost of the camera... the extra ram would really not be that much more ($50? $100?) so I assume it must have been battery life which drove the decision more than cost. I wonder if they'll do this in the D2... never having to wait while writing to flash would be a nice selling point in their next camera.

I fully agree about the lens. I've been researching those too. Boy can you spend a lot of money on a nice lens. :!:

polarbear
Sure, the D1H uses a different body, so I get the construction differences. There are some differences in features, but which matter to make it for a "Pro" when a D100 isn't?. Would you consider them to be enough to justify the difference in price? What are the significant differences to you between them?

Eric
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:43 AM   #5

Hi,

Like I said D1H/D1X body is heavy metal, cost so much. D100 body is cheap.

Also, I noticed myself but some D100 users always said "why auto focus is slow vs D1X/H focus faster.

Yes, I agreed that. IF you're serious sports action or wildlife even birds (fly) or Air shows then best use D1H or D1X cuz fast focus. for nature or scenes or portrait or fun then D100. That is why I use both D1H and D100.

It's your decide, but If you want to know why red light bracket d1h/x vs black bracket? D100. Here is: If you're in dusk or dark or indoor low light or party whatever. Black bracket is hard to see for spot or center because black or dark match black bracket, you got wrong area. Red light, it can show you red light spot area, you can see it so easy! Is that help? of course, expensive PRO clever.

Now your decide.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 12:03 AM   #6

Polarbear

Thanks for the info on the focusing speed. wildlife (mostly birds) is what I will be using it for. But I can't swallow the (current) high price of the D1H/X. But it sounds like the D100 will do enough that I'll find out what I really enjoy taking pictures of. Then I'll upgrade if that fits my needs in the future.

No one I've read has said that the D100 is a bad camera. You've just gotta understand its limitations.

Eric
Old Feb 6, 2003, 7:03 AM   #7

The D100 is considered a Pro-sumer level of camera. That is a low Pro or high Amateur. It has many of the features of the D1 series but the size and weight of a N80. Like polarbear said, the D1 series has a metal frame like the F5s where the D100 is more polycarbonate. Don't get me wrong, the D100 can take its share of bumps and bruises, you just can't hammer nails (not literally) with it like the D1s. There are many "Pros" who use the D100 as their backup to the D1's and a few pro's use it as their primary camera.

Keep in mind a few things. The D1 series has a faster AF, and can use their meters with AI lenses. The D100 has a decent AF and can use AI lenses but without the meter. The D100's EN-EL3 battery lasts a LONG time. Many owners buy the MB-D100 base and put in 2 batteries. Some have said it lasts for months (your usage may vary). When used in FULL AUTO (everything set to AUTO), you may find the images underexposed. My D100 doesn't have this issue. All I can say to this is "Learn how to use the D100!" I avoid FULL AUTO and set it up as I like it and how I have learned to use it. I get clear, bright sharp images even in JPG. I also recommend getting Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the D100 - http://www.bythom.com It will be the best $30 you spend on your D100.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 5:27 PM   #8

JoeSlotz, polarbear & marokero

Thanks for all the info. That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I assume that Nikon doesn't manufacture AI lenses any more (only AF-S & AF-I)?

Do you (anyone) know if adding an extra battery (with the MB-D100) helps speed up the AF? It could just be a power thing, but I doubt it. Sounds more like a way to differenciate the models.

I was considering a 5700, but the fixed lens turned me off because of my old full manual SLR and I'd like use the camera while hiking and birding; 8x on the 5700 just wouldn't be enough. But I have the oportunity to buy a D100 cheap, so I've been trying to learn about it.

Now that I think I've picked a body, I get to dive into the wild unknown with lens.

Eric
Old Feb 6, 2003, 11:40 PM   #9

The speed of the AF has to do with the sensor employed in the camera, Multi-Cam 1300 on D1x/h, Multi-Cam 900 on D100, an increase in power capacity would have no effect.

But you know what? With the difference in price between the D100 and the D1x/h, you could pick up a nice AF-S lens And perhaps have money left for a speedy compactflash. The D100 benefits a little from faster cards: in using a 12x Lexar 320MB CF I get a burst of 8 large/fine jpg's before having to wait about a second to fire the next shot - using a Kingston Highspeed 256MB CF I get 7 large/fine jpg's in a burst, then have to wait about a second as well. So you can actually get better burst rates than specified by Nikon
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 10:11 AM   #10

marokero

Thanks. I was hoping it was power, but I didn't think it would be.

Ya, I'm eyeing AF-S lenses. That should (I expect) help make up for its slower AF. There are just so many different lenses to pick from..... At my skill level the really good lenses aren't worth it (yet) but I don't want to waste money on something which I'll just want to resell in a year.

With the price drop of the Sandisk Ultra 512MB cards I was thinking of getting one of those and using a mix of RAW and jpg (at least to start.) That should hold enough of them that I won't feel too constrained and hopefully be fast enough to improve the write times. Of course I'll have to use uncompressed RAW to make it worth using at all <sigh>.

JoeSlotz
And I wanted to thank you for the suggestion of the D100 book. I'm already eyeing that book. Many people on many forums have spoken well of thom's books.

Eric