Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:36 PM   #1

When I take a picture of a beach scene and the sky is blue in the background I have noticed two distinct circular spots in the picture. They are not too dark but enough to let me know they're there. I have cleaned the lenses and checked the CPU chip but don't dare touch it. Can somebody help?
Elia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:07 PM   #2

Sounds like dust in the sensor.
Try shooting sky or piece of white paper with very small apereture like f22,
you should be able to see the dust specs in the recorded image.
If you find that the amount of dust ruins your photos then clean the sensor or have it cleaned by nikon service.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:25 PM   #3

I guess we have all been there and the thought of touching the sensor is at first frightening, but if you want good pictures then you'll have to come round to it in the end I'm afraid. And like most things, once you've drawn a deep breath and done it once you'll wonder why you were ever frightened. Go hereand read, then buy the kit plus Eclipse liquid (not included) and you'll be fine. It isn't something that needs doing every day but is a fact of life. Just zooming the lens causes a pumping action that will force dust into the lens so don't even worry that it is your fault even. Good luck.

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/44822724
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:48 AM   #4

I'm sure I'll eventually need to physically clean my sensor, but I've used a blower several times to remove dust with complete success, and no need to actually touch anything. The Giotto "rocket" is funny looking, but works fantastically!
eburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:58 PM   #5

Thank You.
Elia is offline   Reply With Quote