Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:40 PM   #1

OK. I just went out and bought the SC-29 adapter for my Nikon D-70 with the SB-800 Speedlight. I have it all hooked up to the frame and all plugged in correctly. My ISO setting is at 200. My problem is that I have been trying to shoot pictures with this setup and unless I have the aperture opened up to the max (in my case it is f/3.5) and the shutter speed at like 1/10 I get dark crappy pictures!!!

Now I would like to think that I am not a complete idiot since I have been doing this for a while, but I have tried all the different combinations with settings in the menu on the D-70 for the various flash modes and so on as well as the different modes on the SB-800. Anyone have a clue as to how I can solve this issue?

When the camera is in any of the following modes A, S, P, or M I get the same results or I get no picture at all. I bought this set up to improve my shots and it seems I have taken four steps back. The manual that comes with the SC-29 is literally Chinese and says nothing about operation to get desired results. If I am missing something someone please let me know. This was suppose to help, not hinder!

Scott
Houston,TX
lordphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:25 AM   #2

I think I might have figured it out. Apparently my camera is possessed because I sat here playing with it more and I detached the SB-800 from teh sc-29 unit and plugged it back in my hotshoe on the D-70 and took a couple pictures..then put it back and voila! I got pictures this time and I shot everything under the sun in the house and it seems to be fine now. What was causing my problem is still a mystery that bothers me but as long as it doesn't fail me this week during my shoot I will be OK.

I would still like to hear any ideas if anyone knws what could have caused that to happen.

Sheesh!

Scott
Houston, TX
lordphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 2:49 AM   #3

It could be caused by the flash and hotshoe contacts not really coming into full contact. I've had such problems before when using a friend's SB800 on my D70. After detaching it and reattaching it, all was fine.
peaz is offline   Reply With Quote