Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 18, 2005, 6:22 AM   #1

Hi:

I've read some articlesthat sayyou should use a grey (18%) card to customize your white balance. Others say you should use a white card (paper). Others say you should use the grey card to read the exposure (not the white balance).

Aswe have in this forum some pro's and advanced users,I would like to know your opinion and what should I use. I have a D70 and bought the grey card from Kodak.

Thanks in advance.

zematima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:00 AM   #2

I own the Nikon D50 and have used a Grey card (18%) from Kodak and always have gotten great results setting Manual White Balance with this grey card. I use it mostly in indoor mixed lighting conditions.
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks for your answer.

Outdoor with the grey card the photos seem warmer.

I guess i will use the grey card for the manual white balance instead of the white paper.
zematima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:23 PM   #4

If the cards have equal values for RGB, it doesn't matter - white card and gray card will give the same balance. Very few real pieces of paper have exactly that property, so experiment and use what works best for you.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:49 PM   #5

Myers Digital Gray Card or WhiBal cards are calibrated to have flat, neutral RGB reflectivity response. Both of these are rugged, high quality products which will last a lifetime (providing that you lead a normal life <G>). These can be used to set 'custom' white balance and to be a color-neutral reference in the shot.

I have both.

Good investment... recommended.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote