Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 22, 2005, 5:32 PM   #1

First off I'm REAL new to digial SLR's but I started off fine with this camera and found it quite easy to use and take quality photos with. I haveTamron 28-80 and 70-300 lenses. All of the sudden, especially when using 70-300 lens in auto mode, when I half depress the shutter release button to focus nothing happens, the aperature setting in the control panels just flashed 'F- -' and it won't take a photo. If I release the lens and rotate (to break the CMOS contacts) then twist back until it locks it starts working again (sometimes) butthen stops after taking one or two photos. Sometimes it just keeps working until I turn it off and then when I go to use it again the same problem occurs. Any ideas?
daum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:36 PM   #2

Have you made sure that the aperature on your lense is the smallest f/ stop(highest number) and locked at that.

I believe it's f/22.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:02 PM   #3

Yes,
daum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:31 PM   #4

I'm also new to my D70, purchased last August with Tamron 18-200 mm lens. It is doing the same thing! It began a few weeks ago, occuring about once or twice per 200 shots, but now the frequency is rapidly increasing. It was suggested to me that reformatting my card would solve the problem, so I did that, but tonight I could only get a few shots before it would randomly lock up and flash F-- . Often, when I turned the camera on, it was locked up. Turning the camera off and on doesn't get it to work. At times it would start to work, I'd take a few shots, and then lock up again. I normally have my camera setting on "P."

I would appreciate hearing if there is something I could do to resolve this problem without having to take the camera back to the shop.
LR211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 6:16 PM   #5

For some reason, the camera isn't recognizing the lens as a CPU type.* Try using Manual Mode.* Did you reset the camera by pushing in the Reset on the bottom?* I have the Tamron 18-200 also, but I haven't experienced this prob.* *Good luck.
Whisperin Squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:51 AM   #6

Thanks for the tip, Whisperin Squash.

Last weekend I took my camera back to Samy's. The manager looked at my camera, took the lens off, put it back on, and told me to bring the original lens box back and he will replace my lens with a new one. He said that 99% of the time this sort of problem is caused by the lens.

It was interesting how, after he took the lens off and on, for rest of the day my camera worked without locking up once. Still, I didn't want to risk having future problems, so I went in the following day with my sales receipt and lens in the original box, and he swapped it for a new lens.

Now I am having problems with the new lens' auto focus! The new lens has difficulty locking in and focusing. The auto focus keeps going in and out, and I am unable to shoot. If I switch to manual focus, there is no problem. I will try the reset button next time this happens.

I am so relieved that I bought my equipment from our local Samy's Camera store and not an online store. There's a lot to be said for being able to walk into a shop and getting immediate, hands-on help with a problem.
LR211 is offline   Reply With Quote