Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 9, 2005, 7:44 AM   #1

Hello

I asked Nikon tech support about these cards. They only sent me the existing FAQ on their website. That is very old and only says that the much slower 1GB cards are supported. No mention of the 2GB or 4GB SD cards.

Anyone have any experience with the faster SD cards?

The D50 review on Steve's says 'any 2GB card' will work with the D50. In his review ihe only mentions the much slower Sandisk Ultra II 2GB SD card. Which has a sustained write speed of 9Mb/sec.

133x cards have transfer speeds of 20Mb/sec
150x cards have 22.5Mb/sec

These faster SD cards have been out awhile now by several companies, but I still have not seen anyone test these for the D50 .. especially Nikon :sad:

regards
Dennis

texastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:56 AM   #2

I have never had an issue missing shots due to a slow card. I use Sandisk ulta 2's and a regular sandisk as a backup. I believe you can take up to 20 (approx) consecutive shots before the camera's buffer slows things down. I don't know that having a superfast card would improve this, as the buffer's performance would be the bottleneck. Also, since the camera has a USB 2 interface, transfer to the computer probably would not be improved all that much with a super fast card. I'm not speaking on hard technical knowledge, only from experience. I shoot alot of sports and action, and I knowa superfast card is not neccessary (for me at least).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:00 AM   #3

Hi

I am interested in the transfers :
1) from camera to SD card during photo shooting
2) SD card to LCD screen during review
especially
3) camera SD card to external diskdrive

The main subsystem components of the system are:
1) USB2.0 high speed at 480Mb/sec
2) the SD card transfer speed..as high as 22Mb/sec
3) the SD card controller inside the camera

I can not find out the speed of the Nikon D50's internal SD card controller. I suspect that this controller is the huge bottleneck..since Nilon probably tried to save a few pennies by putting in a slow controller. I suspect the controller only supports 9 or 10Mb/s rate. USB2.0 high speed is wasted bandwidth and is more of a marketing ploy by Nikon since the USB2.0 is not really an improvement. if the controller only supports 10Mb/s, then USB 1.1 at 12Mb/s is sufficient? What's the sense of putting USB 2.0 high speed in the camera when it doesn't help the transfer speed or help to support the larger cards?

I shoot in NEF all the time and it does take a long time to transfer the pictures in a full 1GB card to my laptop. If I had a 2GB or a 4GB card, then obviously the download time will take substantially longer.

I think there is no way to upgrade the existing D50 camera so they can use the faster cards through simplier firmware updates since the internal 'hardware' controller is probably the bottleneck. ie to get faster transfers to external drives, Nikon woudl have to replace the internal SD card reader.

Thanks

Dennis

Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:38 AM   #4

If i remember correctly Nikon has mentioned that D50 should be able to take advantage of fast SD cards,
however i haven't seen any reliable tests so that remains to be seen.

Rob Galbraith's CompactFlash Performance Database is going to include D50 results...someday.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 5:55 AM   #5

I got a response from a SD card maker

they said D50 supports 2GB and that their 150x cards work with the D50 camera
taken from them that the 4GB cards are not compatible no matter what the speed

they did not give me specifics if the camera to PC transfer speed would be improved if using their 150x cards

the weakest link of the system determines this speed..and this could be the card reader inside the camera
Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:13 AM   #6

I see that he has not got around to the D70s either
He has done one for the D70

it is worth mentioning that his tests are only internal camera tests and not a test of the transfer speed from the camera to a PC through USB

D70s: 3fps and slow USB2.0 compact flash memory
D50: 2.5fps and fast USB2.0 Secure Digital memory

Gleaning from the slower 2.5fps of the D50, I doubt very much that the card reader speed has been improved to increase camera to PC transfer speeds by using faster SD cards. Which means the USB 2.0 high speed is useless and just a gimick?

The slower 2.5fps may indicate this limitation in the camera's internal memory card controller

regards
Dennis