Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:11 PM   #1

Hi,

My dealer where I bought my D70 called me and stated there is a recall on some of the D70 battery packs issued. Apparently they can short out and melt !!!

Not what I want to happen inside my camera !!! The recall does not apply to all packs

Not sure what series of battery pack is involved, when I find out I will re-post

I strongly suggest you get a hold of the place where you purchased your camera and look into it

Tman

UPDATE: You can check it out at this link

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/EN_...ryrecall.shtml

FOOTNOTE: I checked my pack and it is indeed one of the ones recalled.The serial number is VERY hard to see .. it is in the recess of the flat side of the pack and printed in black ink on ablack case .. daaaa

tazman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:56 PM   #2

Some batteries have (over)heated during charge due to some glitch in battery manufacture process.
Faulty batteries are not going to explode or anything when they are in the camera.

Hopefully i get my replacement battery before christamas...
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 4:07 PM   #3

This announcement is several weeks old, and all the info is on Nikons website and was posted on this site on November 8th. Check out this sites breaking news. Thus far there have only been 4 reported cases of the defective battery causing issues. The defect has only occurred during charging.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:37 PM   #4

I came across the articles while at the Nkon site getting my firmware upgrade for my D2X. And sure enough, I had a battery that had one of the "bad" lot numbers. It was a very easy process to report it through the site and they even generate a prepaid UPS label for you to ship the battery back. They didn't give any indication of how long it would take but at least I have a spare that has a "good" number.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:50 PM   #5

The site that tazman57 linked to gave me a shipping label and Nikon's Purolator account number. I had one suspect battery out of 4, and it just left. They say 7-10 days here in Canada, so I should get the replacement before our Costa Rica trip December 5th.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:01 PM   #6

Good sevice IMO! 3 working days and I have a new battery.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote