Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:19 AM   #1

Ok I was recently offered a brand new D2X for 1000$ USD, From a guy living in the UK

The D2X is brand new in box (I assume it didn't come with a lens, But you guys are the experts) And he says it comes with all the stuff in the box

Anyway, HE wants to use a third party payment system that he called SPB-Transport (LEtter for letter) I looked it up on google, And found a Russian Based Company in St Petersburg that matched the Name, But I couldn't Find any Info on their Transaction or shipping operations.

Anyway, Apparently according to him it is a try before you buy type Deal where I would get the Camera and then Pay him

This sounds waaay too good to be true, From what I found the camera normally goes for 4000$ USD, So 1000$ is just tooo good

Anyway, Im posting the relevant parts of the email at the bottom here, any advice, or information on the SPB-Transport company would be GREATLY appreciated

(It took him almost 2 days to reply so You guys might be able to help me before I could get in contact with him again)

(EMAIL)
i live in London Uk.The last price for the product is only 1000 usd.The item is new ,in box with 12 months international warranty( with all original accessories) .
I want to make the deal via Spb-Transport third party services so you will have the chance to try the item before you will make the payment to me.
I await your question about the deal and i'am ready to begin the transaction as soon as possible.
Thank you
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2005, 7:07 AM   #2

How were you offered this via E-Bay. did the seller contact you directly. My rule of thumb is. If it sounds to good to be true it usually is.
Andy_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 7:36 AM   #3

Another scam - don't touch it. Every time I bid on Ebay I get these offers afterwards offering me the same thing due to "a non paying bidder" at a price that is more than interesting. It is a come on. If it came as a result of a bid on Ebay report it to them. You can only lose your money by pursuing this fraud. The cheapest price I can find is around $5,000 including a 4gb microdrive from a reputable dealer - 17th St and perhpas (Ididn't look) B & H. Remember:-

If it looks too cheap it probably is!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 8:16 PM   #4

It was actually through an online classified add

vancouver.craigslist.com

But I talked to another guy at school, Who emailed him aswell, And got the exact same message. So I'm thinking no-one who was actually interested in selling the camera, would possibly promise the sale too at LEAST 2 people

SO i'm 90% sure it just is a scam after all.

Whats weird is its posted on a vancouver site, but the guy lives in the UK?

Weird no?
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 6:31 PM   #5

If you want to just give away $1000.00 give it to the Red Cross or some other Charity. DO NOT GIVE IT TO THIS SCAM PERSON.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 6:31 PM   #6

If you want to just give away $1000.00 give it to the Red Cross or some other Charity. DO NOT GIVE IT TO THIS SCAM PERSON.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:58 PM   #7

If you want I'll sell you my D2x body cap for $1000*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/lachen001.gif[/img]*Seriously, as everyone's said, stay away from scams such as this.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:44 PM   #8

Hey don't go for it I had the same issue with SPB-Transport they seem like a nice company with a nice web site www.spb-Transport.com,

This was for a laptop xps that's a 4,000 dollar laptop for 950 this was on craigslist as well for NY and with the same description as the email reply was also the same as urs.

Paul Steven

[align=right]Nov 26 (7 days ago)

Hi
My name is Paul Steven and i live in London Uk.The last price for the product is only 900 usd.The item is new ,in box with 12 months international warranty( with all original accessories) .
I want to make the deal via Spb-Transport third party services so you will have the chance to try the item before you will make the payment to me.
I await your question about the deal and i'am ready to begin the transaction as soon as possible.
Thank you

[/align]

[line]
this message was remailed to you via: [email protected]
[line]

and it just went on and on he sent me a tracking number and I checked it and it actually had my info involved and a senders address, so I actually googled that address and as it turns out it's some store, and yet they supposedly think that us rich americans will be so gullible, heh damn loosers.

This is the "agents" name and address that you have to make payment to .

First Name : Michael
Last Name : Kim
Address : 55 Mark Lane
City : London
Zip/Code : EC3R 4NE

The responses were a bit weird some of them had good english and some of them sounded like a russian bitch or someone really trying hard on his english.
dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote