Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 25, 2005, 7:26 PM   #1

Anyone know just how water tight the D70 is? I may be asking this question a bit late, but today I was out shooting in the snow. The top of my camera, lens, and flash was COVERED with snow and melting snow. It was all wet. I was a bit worried, but then I just felt it had to be designed for this type of use. It cannot be made just for sunny days, can it?

After I returned to my car, I blew the snow off and tried it a bit. Now I'm home and everything is fine, but just wanted to know if I have to "baby" this or not. Any ideas? Does anyone know any facts?

By the way, this is one of my captures:

Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2005, 8:18 PM   #2

Thats a good question. Im anxious to see what people say about that. Nice capture of the Cardinal. Very cool.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 8:14 AM   #3

The D70 is not weather sealed. I'm sure a drizzle or maybe even a light rain would not affect the camera adversely, but you wouldn't want to be shooting in adverse conditions (rain, snow, dust) without some sort of protection for your camera. Even pro's with weather sealed cameras use some sort of weather proof bag in bad weather. Build quality is one of the major differences between higher end and lower end cameras. I'm not saying the D70 is a piece of junk, but why take a chance. Think about it, a DSLR is an electronic piece of equipment...would you use a tv or computer out in the rain or snow without some sort of protection??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 9:02 AM   #4

I'm not yet convinced. A TV or computer is CLEARLY not ment to be out in the elments. Cameras are. They are not just deisgned for inside use.

I know the D70 is not a high-end camera, but how difficult would it have been for them to just use a few O rings and seal it up? Heck, my watch was free with a fill-up and it is water tight... It would be nice to know for sure.

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:59 AM   #5

I know a tv or computer were extreme examples. However, keep in mind there is an lcd screen on the back. Also, the same is really true of film cameras. Only the high end pro cameras have weather sealing. It is not as simple as just adding a few o rings. Again, I think light, infrequent exposure to the elements is going to be ok...but you are not going to want to consistantly expose the camera to extreme weather. If you do need to use the camera in extreme conditions, just get a protective cover...they are fairly inexpensive.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:39 AM   #6

I would be worried about getting the camera wet. I have seen "raincoats" for cameras that will keep them dry when shooting in conditions like yours. A little moisture may not be a problem, but I personally wouldn't want to spend much time in those kinds of conditions without some kind of protection for my camera. Too expensive to find out the hard way whether it is "water ressitent" or not.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 6:51 PM   #7

Ya I talked to my boss at the camera store today about your post and she said you were crazy..lol Probaly not a good idea to get it wet. Hope its still ok.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote