Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 2, 2005, 3:16 AM   #1

I want to use the pop-up flashon my D70s as commander and SB600 as slave to get more creative with lighting, but have not done any off-camera flash work before.

I have set the camera flash setting to commander TTL and set the SB600 to work in multiple flash mode (wireless trigger/slave). My first experiments with this was not successful. The SB600 fires properly, but it seems that the pop-up flash does not provide any additional light on the subject. Overall exposure is OK, but the subject is now only illuminated by the off-camera flash!

If I switch the SB600 off, but leave the pop-up in commander mode, the photo is terribly underexposed, which surprised me.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Vincent
Sundance kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:48 AM   #2

The D70/D70s flash doesn't contribute to the lighting when in commander mode. It only acts as a trigger for the external SB800/SB600 units being used.

Also, SB600's can only be used as a remote when using Nikon's Creative Lighting System (SB800's can be used as master & remote -- and does contribute lighting to the exposure when being used as the on-camera master commanding the other remotes)

Unfortunately, I don't believe that the SB600 has SU-4 slave capabilities built-in either (I don't have one, so I'm not positive on this), so it doesn't seem like you will be able to use the D70s pop-up flash with the SB600 with both adding light to the exposure.
lacunae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:54 PM   #3

Sundance, you might try this page.¬* It does a pretty good job explaining the SB600 and it's off camera capabilities.¬* As well as how to set up your D70s to work as the commander.¬* I hope this helps.¬* ¬*All the best, Steve¬* ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ittlslave.htm
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback! Too bad that the pop-up cannot act as master and contribute to the lighting. It means I can only use the off-camera feature for special lighting, not really to improve lighting for "normal" pictures.

Vincent
Sundance kid is offline   Reply With Quote