Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 10, 2005, 12:48 PM   #1

Can anyone advise whether the Nikon infrared control works when the camera is on a tripod and you are trying to release the shutter remotely from behind the camera?

It is not clear to me from whatI have read whether you can use it in this way or whether it only works when the remote is used in front of the camera.

If that is the case what is the alternative for remote release for when you are standing behind the viewfinder?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

mercurius

mercurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2005, 1:19 PM   #2

Hi,

The D70 IR receiver is on the front of the camera body thereby eliminating rear remote operation. A more expensive and tethered method would be the use of the Nikon Capture program that allows you to control the camera via a computer (laptop for "remote" locations) and the USB cable. I have also heard of people trying mirrors to reflect the IR beam, I don't know if it works, I suppose it could though.

...Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 2:38 PM   #3

I Have no problem using the remote inside. I just bounce it off a wall or whatever is available.┬* I don't know what the maxium distance is to be able to do that. I never bothered to check it out. Now for anything outside? That presents a problem. ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 2:57 PM   #4

mercurius : I have been using que infrared control ML-L3 for few month with the D70, and is working good. With a trick I got from the forum, Cut a piece of CD, with a clip and ruber band, you can shut from behind, as far than 8-10 meters, is not beautifull but is working fine. I use to take birdspics. on my backyard, her are the examples. ... From Panama, Carlitin
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:01 PM   #5

mercurius : This is the birdspic example I took with the D70, the 80/200 f2.8, tripo and the piece of CD and the ML-L3. the birds can┬┤t see you. :idea:
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote