Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:24 AM   #1

I'dplanningto purchase a kit to clean the sensor on my D70. There are so darn many out there, I was hoping someone with experience at cleaning their D70 sensor could tell me what works for them. Thanks, Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:32 PM   #2

I don't have any personal experience with sensor cleaning, but I have read a lot of great things about the Sensor Brush. Basically, it's this special brush that you blow with canned air to positively charge the bristles, then you gently dab the sensor and dust is "lifted" off. I read that it works very well, but it's expensive. Expect to spend at least $100.

Here's the link: http://www.visibledust.com/
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:09 AM   #3

I've not bought one of the kits simply because I don't have the patients to deal with cleaning the sensor. My solution is to take it to a professional camera shop and for about $35 ‚Äď and a day without the camera - it's cleaned to perfection.
PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:25 AM   #4

PBee, that works, too. For me personally, I can't afford that kind of thing. The Sensor Brush is basically a way to get unlimited professional-quality cleaning for about $100. The company also has a liquid and q-tip cleaning kit, but it's almost never necessary.

Either way, to each his own.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:53 PM   #5

I've seen similar cleaning brushes on ebay for much less. The may not be exactly the same but clame to use the same principle (blowing air by to charge the brush). I beleive most of these are simply artist's brushes without the protective/cosmetic coating that make the bristles shiney.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 5:34 PM   #6

Hey Woody,¬* you might check this out. (see url below) ¬*I think I am going to try it.¬* It's only $28 Plus $7 S/H.¬* ¬*I was talking with a very knowledgeable Photographer (30 years experience, with about $20K to $25K worth of equipment) and he uses the visibledust¬*system and says it's easy and safe to do.¬* The only danger is if you happen to scratch the thin glass covering that's over the sensor. not likely if you are careful.¬* I read about the Copper Hill system from Copper Hill imaging¬* at this URL¬*¬*http://www.pbase.com/copperhill ¬*on another Photo site and they use it for all of their cleaning needs.¬* Check it out and let me know what you think? ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*BTW, I am Lovin' the new D70s and lens. ¬* ¬*Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:36 PM   #7

Stephen,
I can't be sure it that's correct or not, but are you willing to take a chance? I suppose trusting the ebay brushes isn't so bad, but of course you should not try the artist brushes. If you get a brush from ebay, let us know how it works.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:03 PM   #8

I wasn't saying to try using artist's brushes. I was saying I've read that the CCD cleaning burshes are made the same as artists brushes exctept without the coating on the bristles that artists brushes have. The CopperHill SensorSweep brush is similar to what i've seen elsewhere (ebay). Here's a link to the ebay auction i was refering to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CleanSkies-SENSO...QQcmdZViewItem

$12.49 + SH for 2 brushes. One brush for the sensor and a second for the miror area (keeps you from inadvertantly picking up grease from the mirror area and re-depositing it on the sensor).
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:18 PM   #9

Stephen, you're right. Those brushes look great. Good find. You just saved me $85.00!