Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 24, 2005, 6:43 PM   #1

I just bought a D50. I had read about the task of keeping the sensor clean. Well......I put on the kit lens........very carefully.......took several pics. Already there is a dark spot on upper right corner of frame on each pic. Should I ask dealer to clean it (got it at Ritz Camera).........I am very disappointed that right out of the box I have to worry about this........
eli4bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2005, 9:37 PM   #2

Glad to hear you have a D50. I really love mine. Had it for about five months now. I have only had dust on the sensor once and I change lenses about twice a week. I use a Rocket blaster to remove dust. If you have never done it before then I would recomend you take it back to Ritz and have a tech do it for you so you can learn from them how to do it correctly. You will be able to do it yourself as it is very simple once you see it done.

Don't let this one incident discourage you about this camera. It's a great camera. I have a few friends that all work in the same camera store and they let me use all of the DSLR's that are prices $1200 and under and still believe the D50 was the best camera for me.

Enjoy!

Rob
neekak9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 9:37 PM   #3

Dust on the sensor is a fact o life with a DSLR. You _will_ get more crud on your sensor as time goes on, so it is better to learn how to cope with it now than to appeal to Ritz ( they most likely will attempt to make you happy by agreeing to clean your sensor, but the reality is that when they return your camera to you it will have more crud on the sensor than when you sent it in and you will be without your camera for a couple of weeks ). First; Learn to clone out the dust spot in post processing. Then when the number of spots becomes too annoying; learn how to clean your sensor yourself. c.f. Copperhill method, dry method, Sensor Seep, etc. Rich souce of ideas can be had by using "search" in this forum and others.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 9:45 PM   #4

Thanks guys! I will heed your advice!
eli4bill is offline   Reply With Quote