Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:18 PM   #1

I know Nikon D200 is new and probably have the latest bells and whistles but 20D has been raved by many and 5D is sort of standard to compare with. I am new to all this DSLR business and am totally confused after reading specs. Here are my questions:

a. What is the real difference in quality and noise at all ISO settings between them?
b. What are the advantages D200 have over others becuase it is new and latest?
c. with 20D being cheapest of the group what do you loose in features and picture quality compared to other two?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:32 AM   #2

5D is sort of standard to compare with.

-----------------------------------------------------

I have had the D200 and the 5D in my hands and have taken pictures with them both. So here is my low down.

1.) The D200 feels more solid

2.) Picture quality and ISO noise ? Well I shoot a lot of wildlife and do not go above 400 ISO. I did shoot both at 400 ISO and could tell no "big" differance between the two. When I do shoot at 800 ISO,I always usenoise removal software.

As for the 20D ? I have never liked it. I do not like its over all feel or build. I have never liked Canons big wheel on the back. But then I do like the button layout on my F5 and most do not. As I always state at workshops I do, do not take all reviews or write ups on cameras as the word to go by.

DonR.
regandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:31 PM   #3

I agree that one can not go on the reviews alone and actual feel of the camera in one's hand is the real test of ergonomics.

Is the focusing system on D200 much better than 5D and 20D?

I have an old Nikon SB-28 flash light. Would it work with D200 in TTL mode?
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:15 PM   #4

The 5D is very fast to focus, and so is the D200 they arealmost the same. The 20D is not in the same class as the 5D or the D200 when it comes to AF or custom settings. But, as far as the D200 being better in the focusing arena than the 5D. I would say that it is not better or out done. If you like to shoot action, than both are very good at it. Now, you would liketo know if the D200 is better than the 20D ? Yes.

I do not know if the SB-28 works or not. I had two hours with a 5D and D200. I do not own one. They are both different in many ways. For me I like the bulid of the D200, and the view finder of the 5D. As far as the focusing system go's between the two ? There is no big diff between them. But, the 20D is out classed. The biggest differance between the 5D and the D200 is the 5D is full frame, so no crop factor.

DonR.
regandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:44 PM   #5

I will see if Nikon has a chart showing compatibility with older flash units.

Looks like 20D is not in the same class as D200 or 5D.

I have been reading about dead pixels in some of the D200 cameras. What do you do if you get a camera with a dead pixel? Can they change the CCD? How expensive is it to replace CCD with dead pixels?

Are there techiques in software to remove dead pixels?