Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:43 PM   #1

I have Nikon D50 and use it daily with the 80-400VR for birds and the Micro-Nikkor 60mmfor insects. I hate to switchbetween the two lenses and decided to get another body.

My problem is should I buy the D200 or another D50 body?

I like the D200 2.5" hi-resolution screen, more direct controls. I do not like flash card ( I do not have one!) and the heavier weight of the D200. Also afraid about compatibility ofmy NikonCapture4 with the D200.

I like the small body and lighter weight and lower price of the D50. I do not like to be forced to buy another D50kit lens as I already have a seldom used one in the box.

The question might sound silly but I could not solve it. Please help. Thanks.

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:55 AM   #2

It sounds like you have answered your own question. See if you can buy a D50 body only. If your notdoing photography for money, than go with the D50 you already own, and take your money and buy more good glass with it.

DonR

----------------------------------------------------

D2H / F5 / F4

My best lens is a Nikon 500mm f/4 / 300mm f/2.8

80-200mm f/2.8 AFS / 80-400mm VR / 28-80mm f/2.8
regandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:50 AM   #3

All the reviews suggest that the D200 is a better camera than the D50. It has a 10Mp sensor instead of 6Mp sensor, faster autofocus, greater dynamic range...

This is to be expected it's list price is around 3 times thatof the D50.

Does this mean it's a better camera for you, not necessarily. Is the D50 is doing everything you need it to? Is the resolution good enough to print your shots in the way you want at the size you want? If so save your money.

Ken.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:22 PM   #4

Hi there,

I think with Nikon Capture 4 you can just download the updates. I did. They're all out there on the net. I updated one at a time, and now have the latest version.

I have used the D200 and it is a HUGE step up in terms of build quality. Actually, there are so many differences, it's better you just look up the specs. But image-wise, it's very good, but so is the D50 from what I've seen. I've used the D70 and D70S, have made thousands of pictures, and was quite happy with them. In fact, and here's what surprised me, I actually sent the D200 back, and have ordered another D70S. Currently the D70S and D50 are so cheap you can have two for one D200. Anyhow, my reasons for sending the D200 back was: 1) dead pixels out of the box - sorry, but not for two grand; 2) focus at infinity or longdistanceswas soft for some reason. I used the 18-200mm lens and a 50mm 1.8 lens, and both were sharp with close-up photos, but not so the other way; 3) the two for one thing; 4) the AF was fast, but not a lot more than the D70S (I am guessing it could be more accurate for tracking though); 5) weight and size - it's a chunky machine, and I am not such a big guy. Iactually found the weight and ergonomics on the D70S much more to my liking -I was surprised todiscover how important this is6)Image size - at max quality or raw, the files are huge and really slow my 2004 PC down in processing. Of course, one can just reduce the quality settings; 7)Image Quality - shooting RAW on a D70S yields images of amazing quality. I bet the results are similar, if not better with the D50.

The benefits of the D200 - 1)Build -no doubt, it's well built, though it took no timeto get dust in the prism - innevitable though; 2)Image size - with the larger options you can blow your images up pretty huge I guess, though I've seen images blown up poster-size from a D2H that were really cool too; 3) Image noise at high ISOs - it's true, it's better than the D70S is, but so is the D50; 4)Versatility - HUGE array of adjustments and options. Overwhelming for me, but you grow into such things; 5)shutter speed - 5fps is also overwhelming, but you can set it at single, or between 2- and 4-fps; 6) battery grip - not available for D70S or D50. I am guessing it would make the camera bigger and at least as heavy as a D2X, which is a heavy cam; 7)lifespan - Nikon repair people will flat out tell you the D50/70/70s are NOT pro cameras when they explain why they're repairing your worn out AF system or broken shutter at under 3000 images. No kidding. I've read of one guy's D70 dying at something like 56,000, and Nikon telling him basically that its life was over. With a 200, you'll get at least twice that, provided you send it in for some annual TLC.

I am not sure about the bugs I mentioned, if everyone will have them or just a few, or if they even matter to anyone else. The issue I mentioned about focus at infinity is starting to hit forums. But it is a brand new camera, and there are bound to be the odd bugs to work out. Regardless, many will love this camera, and it is an awesome machine to behold, but if you're happy with the image quality you're getting, the balance of your 80-400mm lens is comfortable, you already have your SD cards and you don't feel you'll need any of those features above, then another D50 would do you fine.

Do you need a higher fps for wildlife? I don't know- I don't usually shoot such subjects. I do shoot sports though, and not with the fast pro-optics. I have learned to time my shots accordingly so 3FPS usually works well enough.

To buy a D50 body, without lens, call Nikon in Vancouver or back east if you're in Canada. They will actually sell you the body. If you're in the US, try contacting a Nikon repair facility there and see what you can do. Nikon in Canada sent me a D70S body below the retail cost. You might get lucky going that route.

I hope my blowhard spiel helps you some. It just that $2 grand can be a lot of money, and I know with the lacking availability of the D200, and the subsequent difficulty there is to try it in the store, input can be good.
twmangrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:46 AM   #5

twmangrove wrote:
Quote:
Hi there,

I think with Nikon Capture 4 you can just download the updates. I did. They're all out there on the net. I updated one at a time, and now have the latest version.

I have used the D200 and it is a HUGE step up in terms of build quality. Actually, there are so many differences, it's better you just look up the specs. But image-wise, it's very good, but so is the D50 from what I've seen. I've used the D70 and D70S, have made thousands of pictures, and was quite happy with them. In fact, and here's what surprised me, I actually sent the D200 back, and have ordered another D70S. Currently the D70S and D50 are so cheap you can have two for one D200. Anyhow, my reasons for sending the D200 back was: 1) dead pixels out of the box - sorry, but not for two grand; 2) focus at infinity or longdistanceswas soft for some reason. I used the 18-200mm lens and a 50mm 1.8 lens, and both were sharp with close-up photos, but not so the other way; 3) the two for one thing; 4) the AF was fast, but not a lot more than the D70S (I am guessing it could be more accurate for tracking though); 5) weight and size - it's a chunky machine, and I am not such a big guy. Iactually found the weight and ergonomics on the D70S much more to my liking -I was surprised todiscover how important this is6)Image size - at max quality or raw, the files are huge and really slow my 2004 PC down in processing. Of course, one can just reduce the quality settings; 7)Image Quality - shooting RAW on a D70S yields images of amazing quality. I bet the results are similar, if not better with the D50.

The benefits of the D200 - 1)Build -no doubt, it's well built, though it took no timeto get dust in the prism - innevitable though; 2)Image size - with the larger options you can blow your images up pretty huge I guess, though I've seen images blown up poster-size from a D2H that were really cool too; 3) Image noise at high ISOs - it's true, it's better than the D70S is, but so is the D50; 4)Versatility - HUGE array of adjustments and options. Overwhelming for me, but you grow into such things; 5)shutter speed - 5fps is also overwhelming, but you can set it at single, or between 2- and 4-fps; 6) battery grip - not available for D70S or D50. I am guessing it would make the camera bigger and at least as heavy as a D2X, which is a heavy cam; 7)lifespan - Nikon repair people will flat out tell you the D50/70/70s are NOT pro cameras when they explain why they're repairing your worn out AF system or broken shutter at under 3000 images. No kidding. I've read of one guy's D70 dying at something like 56,000, and Nikon telling him basically that its life was over. With a 200, you'll get at least twice that, provided you send it in for some annual TLC.

I am not sure about the bugs I mentioned, if everyone will have them or just a few, or if they even matter to anyone else. The issue I mentioned about focus at infinity is starting to hit forums. But it is a brand new camera, and there are bound to be the odd bugs to work out. Regardless, many will love this camera, and it is an awesome machine to behold, but if you're happy with the image quality you're getting, the balance of your 80-400mm lens is comfortable, you already have your SD cards and you don't feel you'll need any of those features above, then another D50 would do you fine.

Do you need a higher fps for wildlife? I don't know- I don't usually shoot such subjects. I do shoot sports though, and not with the fast pro-optics. I have learned to time my shots accordingly so 3FPS usually works well enough.

To buy a D50 body, without lens, call Nikon in Vancouver or back east if you're in Canada. They will actually sell you the body. If you're in the US, try contacting a Nikon repair facility there and see what you can do. Nikon in Canada sent me a D70S body below the retail cost. You might get lucky going that route.

I hope my blowhard spiel helps you some. It just that $2 grand can be a lot of money, and I know with the lacking availability of the D200, and the subsequent difficulty there is to try it in the store, input can be good.
Thank you very much. I am looking for such comments. I upgrade my Capture 4.3 to 4.4 preparing for if I buy the D200 but the upgrade messed up my Capture!

I am very happy with my D50. When compare with the D200 I do want some of the D200 features such as larger and better screen. But I do afraid some of the features may give me troubles, weight of the D200 plus the 80-400VR may be too much for old man like me.

I think I should not buy a digital cameras that will last forever. Nikon seems to improve their products and make the prices more reasonable each year. I'll pay for quality glasses but am reluctant when come to digital cameras. I prefer to buy a new one every 3-4 years.

As an engineer I think plastic, particularly Nikon plastic, is a better material for camera body than titanium.

I think I shall wait 'till Nikon will sell me a D50 (or maybe D40) without kit lens.

Thanks every body.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:53 PM   #6

The Nikon D50 is available body only for $570 at many places including B & H and Adorama

http://www.adorama.com/INKD50.html

The D200 is $1,100 more at $1,700.

rplinga is offline   Reply With Quote