Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:50 PM   #1

Hello to all in this forum.¬* I have just upgraded to a D70s and I am driving myself crazy trying to find a good lens for water fowl and wildlife pictures out at a local wildlife refuge.¬* I have been using a Pansonic FZ20 with the Pansonic 1.5 teleconverter and have had reasonable success.¬* This has roughly given me a 200mm- 630mm zoom telephoto lens at f/2.8.¬* I have been pouring over the various threads on lenses and have completly confused myself.¬* I have kind of narrowed the list to the following.¬* Nikor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikor 300mm f/4, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 (probably out of my immediate price range), and the Sigma 100-400mm f/4 reviewed at this site.¬*http://www.naturephotographers.net/je1001-2.html ¬*The bottom line is I want to get something that I am not going to regret the first time out. Unfortunately there aren't any photo stores large enough to have a good variety of lenses that I could try out. So, I am kind of going on word of mouth and others experiences.¬* Risky, I know.¬* So, any other thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.¬* ¬*Thank you in advance for any replys. ¬* ¬*All the best, ¬* ¬*Steve¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*P.S.¬* ¬* ¬*I have been reviewing the other posts on this topic and I think I know what I am going to do.¬* I can see that this topic has been rehashed multiply times.¬* No need to waste anybody elses¬* time going over this any more.¬* I hope to post some shots in the next few weeks in the wildlife forum.¬* Happy shooting everyone,¬* Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:16 PM   #2

Have you considered the Sigma 50-500? I went through exactly what you are going through about 8 months ago. I looked at all the lenses you were looking at. Not enough reach here, too slow focusing there, too much money here. I purchased the Sigma 50-500 DG from B&H. It takes some getting used to, and you really need a good tripod to get the best results. At least I do. It was in my price range, focuses quickly and quietly and is the equivalent of a 75-750mm on my D70. And when used right...the photos are tack sharp with good contrast. There are lots of reviews on the lens on the web and you can find lots of photo examples on pbase. Good luck. Hope you get what you want. Half the fun of purchasinga nice lens is the research. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:06 PM   #3

Thanks Woody,¬* I did look at that lens and it really does seem to do quite well but I just thought it was about a pound heavier than I wanted and I am really stuck on the f/4 through out the zoom range on the 100-300 EX.¬* After much deliberation and hair pulling I decided to go with the 100-300 with a Sig 1.4 teleconverter.¬* I hope I don't suffer from "I wish it were longer-itis"(no jokes please) in six months.¬* If I do then I will figure out a way to stick the D70 on my 8" Celestron telescope.[img]/forums/images/emoticons/lachen001.gif[/img]
Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:36 PM   #4

You'll do fine with the 100-300 f4. I looked long and hard at that lens when I did my research. It was a very close second to the Bigma. I don't regret my choice and either will you. That's a sweet lens you're getting. I'm shopping around for a macro now. Now let me see...will it bethe Sigma 105, 150 or 180. As long as I have one before the bugs and butterflies arrive this spring, I'll be happy. Keep us posted with photos from your new lens. Woody
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:33 PM   #5
jcr

Hi smac,

Please let Pana users know Your experience with D70s, I like My FZ30 (and previous FZ20) but does D70s make THE diference ?

JC
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:59 AM   #6
DBB

woodysworld wrote:
Quote:
You'll do fine with the 100-300 f4. I looked long and hard at that lens when I did my research. It was a very close second to the Bigma. I don't regret my choice and either will you. That's a sweet lens you're getting. I'm shopping around for a macro now. Now let me see...will it be the Sigma 105, 150 or 180. As long as I have one before the bugs and butterflies arrive this spring, I'll be happy. Keep us posted with photos from your new lens. Woody
The 180 is a wonderful lens.... And if a bird happens to perch twenty feet away - you can still use it...:-)

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:14 AM   #7

jcr,¬* Absolutely.¬* I will keep you posted.¬* There is a Snowgoose Festival at the end of this month and the Sacramento National Wildlife refuge is one of the sponsers.¬* Their assistant Refuge Manager is putting on a wildlife photography seminar with a photo outing the next day at the refuge.¬* He is a Nikon user so I hope to gain some valuable tips as well as be able to try out some of his equipment. He has some long lenses, I have spoken to him before. I will let you know how it all turns out.¬* ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*Steve
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:41 AM   #8

DBB,

I'm leaning toward the Sigma 180 macro for just that reason, but my wallet is leaning toward the 105. And I believe my lovely wife is leaning the same direction as my wallet...heck she my be pushing it a little. Funny how that works. Woody
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:08 AM   #9

I do not think there are such thing as cheap good lens.

I also came from FZ20. I switched to D50 because the FZ20 could do nothing with ISO more than 200.

I have two lens for my D50. Nikkor VR 80-400 (120-600 mmequi.) for birds and Micro-Nikkor 60 mm (90 mm equi.)

I do not think I shall ever need another lens in the foreseeable future.

You can safe on the camera but if you expect sharp pictures you have to pay for quality lenses.

This picture was taken with D50+Nikkor 80-400 handheld.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:17 AM   #10

Spider fixing her net. D50+Micro-Nikkor 60mm.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote