Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2003, 9:49 AM   #1

Default D1, D1h or D100??

Hi, I am new to DSLR~
don't know how to consider between D1, D1h and D100...
D1 - cheap and fast, F5 body + F100 functions, but old, just 2.74mp, discontinued. Can choose 2nd hand which at least has been used for 2 years. (2nd hand cheaper then D100)
D1h - Hot, with D1's most advantages, very fast burst shooting, still can buy for 1st hand with firmware that will be out in a later time. But expensive and just 2.74mp.
D100 - sporty, cheap, new, 6mp. But not as much function as the above ones. And not as fast.

What should I choose? Or should I wait a bit longer till Nikon D2 is out? thx~
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:50 AM   #2

You'll have to tell us what you plan on using it for. That is what really matters.

I know more about the D100 because that is what I will get. But that is based on cost, not features. I'd love to get the faster burst rate and better auto focus of the D1x, but not at that price!!!

I noticed that you don't list the D1x. Is that because of cost?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:57 AM   #3
NHL

Don't forget the Fuji S2... It does not have a 'Nikon' nametag, but just like some of the Kodaks... will take on the Nikon lenses as well as their accessories flashes... Uses AA niMh rechargeable and comes with a Firewire port just like the D1's! 8) 8) 8)

Unlike the Nikon's it also takes Smartmedia (of limited use I would think)... Kind of a supercharged D100! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2003, 4:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
You'll have to tell us what you plan on using it for. That is what really matters.

I know more about the D100 because that is what I will get. But that is based on cost, not features. I'd love to get the faster burst rate and better auto focus of the D1x, but not at that price!!!

I noticed that you don't list the D1x. Is that because of cost?

Eric
Well yep,D1x is out of budget for me...
My budget is around D1, D100 and D1h. I think D1h is a very good choice based on the camera, but it's still expensive and can't get some good lens for the remaining money...

But yesterday I saw a D1 2nd hand selling cheaper then D100(HK$7000, and D100 2nd still needs HK$12000). But the worst thing is D1 is too old. At least 2 years used.

Well, I usually take photos on shows and functions held by my company. And sometimes I will take artists or stars at fans club functions. Also ofcource is to take family photos...^^
Old Mar 10, 2003, 4:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Don't forget the Fuji S2... It does not have a 'Nikon' nametag, but just like some of the Kodaks... will take on the Nikon lenses as well as their accessories flashes... Uses AA niMh rechargeable and comes with a Firewire port just like the D1's! 8) 8) 8)

Unlike the Nikon's it also takes Smartmedia (of limited use I would think)... Kind of a supercharged D100! :lol: :lol: :lol:
oh yeah~ 8) S2pro is good choice too! It uses AA battery which is more convenient then D100! I just confused why don't it have a battery grip, need to bring batteries along. Also continues shooting just have 2fps because it's picture is very big...

actually i think i am considering on a good spec camera like D1h/D1 or a big mpixel camera like D100 or S2pro...

hard to consider :? ...please give me opinions~thx~
Old Mar 10, 2003, 5:24 AM   #6
NHL

Quote:
I just confused why don't it have a battery grip, need to bring batteries along. Also continues shooting just have 2fps because it's picture is very big...
The S2 battery grip is integral to the camera that's why it's slighly taller from the base. I guess if one add the battery grip to the D100 it also ends up to be the same size as the S2, but @ an additional cost... You have the option of 6 or 12Mp file sizes so you control the picture sizes! (the Firewire port only on the S2 really helps here) Fuji use their own CCD with the hex shaped pixel instead of the square row/column, and can double the resolution through interpolation like on their other cameras...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/s2.html

Do you have to stay with Nikon or the EOS10D is out of the question?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2003, 4:06 AM   #7

Well i uses nikon system when using film before...don't really want to change~

how much is d1h and s2 pro now?
Thx~