Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:34 PM   #1

I am considering getting the D200 but I'm not sure which lens to get. I was thinking about gettting ......
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
and I was going to get the SB-800 and MB-200 multi-power battery pack.
Does this sound like a good setup or could I change some thing and still pay about the same?
Thanks for the help
White Feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:34 PM   #2

I would recommend the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18 - 200 mm f/3.5-5.6G DX ED VR. It is about $750 but will be great with the D200. I have a D70s with a 18 - 70 zoom but will soon order the 18 - 200 with VR it allows good shots at slow shutter sppeds. You will have one lense that will give the same coverage as the two you are considering.

Check out http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

rpl
rplinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:13 PM   #3

I tried the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18 - 200 mm f/3.5-5.6G DX ED VR lens at work on a D50 (I work at Cord camera) and while it was totally silent and focused extremely fast I didn't see hardly any difference at all with the VR turned on..Its pretty nice but if you got that focal length covered the VR doesn't seem to work that well and be worth the extra $$. I have the SB-800 and have been having a blast with it. It does so many different things. Great for a slave and master flash. I use a 28-300 Tamron on my D50 and really like the focal length. I don't have to change lenses all the time from shooting in the house to walking outside and needing a bigger zoom. Cuts down on the chance of getting dust on your sensor having the same lens on most of the time. Not that you need to go with the Tamron but that focal length is nice to have in what ever lens you choose.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I might go with the 18-200, its twice the money but the vr might come in hand at the 200 range (getting old not as steady as I used to be LOL). I also read that one of the lens I was looking at doesnt focus that fast.
White Feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 8:23 AM   #5

DocX wrote:
Quote:
I tried the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18 - 200 mm f/3.5-5.6G DX ED VR lens at work on a D50 (I work at Cord camera) and while it was totally silent and focused extremely fast I didn't see hardly any difference at all with the VR turned on..Its pretty nice but if you got that focal length covered the VR doesn't seem to work that well and be worth the extra $$. I have the SB-800 and have been having a blast with it. It does so many different things. Great for a slave and master flash. I use a 28-300 Tamron on my D50 and really like the focal length. I don't have to change lenses all the time from shooting in the house to walking outside and needing a bigger zoom. Cuts down on the chance of getting dust on your sensor having the same lens on most of the time. Not that you need to go with the Tamron but that focal length is nice to have in what ever lens you choose.
Strange, I've found the VR on the 18-200 to be awesome. I'm at work now and don't have many samples but here is one hand held, 1/60 second 200mm.

bigconig is offline   Reply With Quote