Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:35 PM   #1

Just got my d50 kit withn the 18-55 nikor lens.added a 70-300 nikor g lens.I'm a newbie in digital photography so what am i missing with respect to range and coverage with this two lenses?:?:
green terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:27 PM   #2

You are missing the lower end of the middle zoom range....83mm-105mm (after you consider the digital crop factor). However, I don't think its that big of a deal and doubt that you would miss it. You may look to add a 50mm 1.8 prime...it's great for low light situations and portraits. You should also look to add either the SB-600 or SB-800 flash, the wireless remote and probably most important, a good tripod.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:21 PM   #3

Thanks a lot!!Really needed that!Greetings to all members of steves forums!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:01 PM   #4

Just ordered the 50mm/f1.8 prime lens from B&H photo for $95 bucks!Planning to get the nikon ml-l3 wireless remote and the nikon sb-600 flash.One quick question,where can I get the soft cloth lens case?Will my 70-300 g lens fit on the lowepro off trail 1 camera bag?Thanks and keep me posted!

Old Jan 15, 2006, 2:04 AM   #5

Just a thought - rather than the SB600 why not go for the SB800? A few more bucks but a lot more fuctionality IMHO
PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:19 AM   #6

unless you absolutely need the flash for wireless control with the D50 (as that function is not included) the SB800 is only marginaly better performance wise. It has slightly better output and recycle time (due to the 5th battery) and comes with a diffuser (a $15 add on for the 600) and filters. There are several other differences, but again, most amateurs won't use them or notice they are missing. The 800 is also larger and heavier. Also unbelievably, the LCD display is easier to read and understand on the 600. For $150 less, I still contend the average photographer is better off with the 600 and putting the 150 toward other euipment, like a nice tripod or bag.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:53 AM   #7

Thanks bro for the info!!!leaning toward to getting the sb-600 for less money.Nikor 50mm /f1.8 is on its way!!any feedback of what to expect on this lens.do you think i still need the sb-600 if im gonna use this lens for indoor ,low light situations?
Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:10 PM   #8

The SB600 would absolutely be a good purchase. The built in flash is a little underpowered. The 600 will extend your flash range and provide you with more creative control, as you'll be able to bounce the light to soften the flash effect and reduce shadows. It also does a good job with fill flash for outdoor shots.