Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:12 PM   #1

PLEASE tell me if I posted this in the wrong place or kindly (moderator) move it to the right place...I wasn't sure where to post this (what camera should I buy, newbie) but it's a comment not a question and it's about the D50 so here goes:

I am a novice, this is my first dSLR and I've only owned the 2 lens kit D50 for a few days, but I wanted to give my first impression (besides I love it). I already knew it 'felt' great, but that was thanks to the y'alls great advice to go handle them in the store before buying. I already knew it was a great system because I had researched the various options and based on that research decided on the Nikon D50/D70s. Posts from the forum assured me that based on my novice status, the D50 would be plenty of camera for me (and they were so right and I am so greatful; see attached evidence in proof of that fact). I had read the extensive reviews on handling and features here at Steve's and other places so I kind of knew what to expect. BUT:

I am just delighted with what I consider 'intuitive' and 'natural' button, dial and menu characteristics. Just the right size and even if it takes the manual to learn how to 'set' something, it is 'logical', only takes one reading and I remember it. Settings that require more than one finger to set do not strain the hands and still allow solid 'grip' on the camera at the same time. Maybe there's a better set up out there, but I am veryhappy.

Based on my novice status, you will not be surprised that I have taken some really rotten pictures. (see attached forproof of rotten). But every rotten picture I take is a learning experience and THAT is what I wanted. Conversation with self...."Boy that picture bites, oh, I did this wrong for this situation (lighting, motion, etc.), how do I fix that next time, oh, THAT's what it was..." Plus the experimentation is fun.

I'm barely 10 percent of the way through the manual, have only shot a few situations, so this is a preliminary assessment, but if after all of the things I've said about what a novice I am and how much I have enjoyed the D50 system, maybe someone reading to make their decision will be encouraged to take the D50 plunge. (D50, 2 lens kit, $850 from a reputable source, not grey market).

Thanks,M.

p.s. I have a lifetime of learning ahead of me. And, I look forward to it.

p.p.s. I do have some 'questions' about the D50 and included software (whichI am not particularly happy with) that I am including in a separate post.
Attached Images

melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:19 PM   #2
mao

Hi M

I've had my D50 for about a month now. This time of year is not the best for shooting pics, but I do love the new cam. Yesterday I took it out and did some experimenting, trying out the new Sigma 70-300. Also tried AF-C, worked great. I could track cars driving by and when I took the shot, it was in focus and with no shutter lag. With my old Fuji s5000, usually all I got was the rear bumper.I think this D50 is gonna work!!

mao
mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:03 AM   #3

Got mine today and I love it! Darn nice photos! Will have an entire day tomorrow to shoot some people pictures.

martiniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:46 PM   #4

Mao,

Grats on your purchase and glad you are pleased. The folks here are a wealth of information on the D50 and photography so I think you've found a good home also.

M
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:47 PM   #5

Martiniko,

Hope your day of shooting went well. I am once again carting the laundry around while the dryer is awaiting parts, looking forward to full day of shooting soon. Meanwhile, I read my manual while the clothes dry.

GL,

M
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:03 PM   #6

Hi all

Just wanted to say hi and say that i'm now a proud owner of the D50.

I have also got the 2 lens kit 18-55mm and 55-200mm nikkor lenses.

I have now had the D50 for about a week and i just love it. I'm also a novice and the pics i have taken so far arn't much to write own about. The thing that blew me away about the D50 was the speed unbelievable. My 2 previous cameras were Minolta Dimage A2 and the Panasonic FZ20. I was gonna sell the Dimage and keep the Panny but after using the D50 I might well be selling the Panny as well. I just cant believe how clear the viewfinder is on the D50 and did i mention how fast it is.

Ha Ha ha

mark
wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote