Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:46 PM   #1

Please tell me if I posted this in the wrong place.

Please see attached my post about how pleased I am with the D50 system. My only complaints/problems revolve around the PictureProject software and I am SURE I am doing something wrong or it is my computer, etc.

1. The Nikon manual is QUITE clear about how to transfer images from the camera (by connecting it to the USB cable which should be attached to the computer, not a hub). I have done this and it works terrifically, transfer speeds are phenomenal. HOWEVER, there are circumstances where I may want to put the SD card in a portable HD (like a media player), attach a card reader to the computer and use that to transfer the images, or use the SD slot on my printer (HP 2610) to transfer the images. Can I HURT anything by transfering images other than by attaching the camera to the USB cable?

2. I am underwhelmed with the PictureProject software compared to the HP Directore/Image Zone software. If I am not post processing the image (besides the occassional mild crop) is there a problem with me using my HP software? (for example, am I going to downgrade the image in any way)

3. The same picture (completely un-manipulated) printed from PictureProject software (4 x 6 print) contains a visible to the naked eye horizontal line that is not visible when printed through the HP software. Any clue? The line is not visible in the preview in PictureProject. When the picutre prints, it is off center by a slight margin (1/8 inch??) on the borderless 4 x 6. I have a small white border at the bottom and on the left of the print. Am I missing a centering or margins setting?

The benefit of your knowledge and experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

M

melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2006, 5:26 PM   #2

Congrats on your purchase. To answer your questions:

1. No, there is no harm or danger in using a card reader to transfer pictures (except forgetting to put the card back in your camera!!)

2. You can use whatever software you like to organize, name, and edit your photos. I too have found that picutre project leaves a little to be desired.

3. I'm not sure why the horizontal banding is ocurring with Picture project. If it only happens with Picture Project, then I wouldn't use PP....stick with what you know and are comfortble with.

I would recommend taking a look at Photoshop elements to organize and edit your pics...it is cheap ($100) and full featured, and very easy to use.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:51 PM   #3

Thanks for your response. I am SO glad to know that there is no 'harm' done in using what I am familiar with.

I will look into Photoshop but I just want to be sure I concentrate on the camera right now, lol, don't need any more temptations.

Thanks,

M
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:16 AM   #4

Picture Project does seem to be a very poor piece of software. Nikon have another free software package Nikon View that you can download from the Nikon website. You have to register and provide the camera serial number to be able to download the software. I mostly use PhotoShop but occassionally use Nikon View it is vastly superior to Picture Project.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:33 AM   #5

I use PictureProject plus NikonCapture and like them. I shoot in RAW+jpeg and select the keep photosusing jpeg files. I then delete the unkeep RAW and all jpegfiles which is very easy with PictureProject. Using NikonCapture to manipulate RAW files is easy and efective.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:17 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses.

I downloaded the NikonView and for the moment, both NV and PP are co-existing on the machine offering me a choice when I connect the camera via USB.

The only setting 'missing' in the NV that I will have to get used to (as I had it in the HP software and PP) is the 'erase' images after transfer.

Thanks for your help.

M
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:05 PM   #7

It's generally considered a better option to reformat the card in the camera after downloading your photos than to delete them. The file system used on the cards (FAT) is not brilliant and the space gets fragmented as you delete files. Eventually this can make the card access slower and even lead to corrupt files.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:10 AM   #8

Once again, THANKS Ken:!:!

I did find the setting for delete after transfer in the NV last night (guess it was hidding from me earlier).

Your advice is well taken as I am (supposedly) computer literate and already knowing the file system, duh!, I should have known such fragmentation could/would occur. I shall heed your advice and format the card upon next power-up.

Off topic, but since we are in the realm of peripheral (good hygiene) type issues, can you tell me how often the battery should be charged? I was raised on the old laptop batteries that needed to be emptied frequently instead of recharging partial losses from short sessions to avoid ghosting/memory and early demise.

I have owned the D50 now for a couple of weeks and besides the initial full charge, haven't charged it at all. I have lost one tick on the battery. (It's life is just phenomenal considering how much flash and mucking with the menu and LCD I have done as well as 'shooting' 500+ 'experiements'!!) In fact, as I do not travel, and have not set out on any photo ops to the park, the city, etc. what I thought would be sheer panic about not having a back-up battery or alternate 1 GB card, just disappeared. (Of course, if I were shooting a special event, I'd have to have that back-up card in case of corruption to be on the safe side.)

As always, Thanks!

M
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:47 AM   #9

The batteries have no memory effect, and can be safely kept in camera until the power runs down, or topped up before an important event with no ill effects. The only issue you will find, is although battery life is long and the indicator will show a full charge for several weeks, once the indicator leaves full, the battery drains out pretty quickly, especially if you are using AF, flash, and the LCD. It is a good idea to carry a topped up spare so you don't get caught short.

In terms of life, you should get anywhere from750 up to 2000 shots per charge. This is a pretty wide range and again is based on flash, AF, and LCD usage.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:18 AM   #10

Thanks much. I looked down today and saw the drop off. I'm definitely due to charge.

Thanks,

M