Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:08 AM   #1
Hen

Hi,

I'm going to buy this cam next week, I've been reading and reading about it, some good and some bad, I'd like to know from people who have it;

I've read something about moire in the picture and how the quality of the picture is not so good (let's say as D50).

Now, this is going to be my first DSLR cam so I want to know I've made the right chioce with it.

Some smaples would also be welcome with the 18-70 which I'm gonna purchase with the cam.

Again, I want to knowif I've made the right decision.

Hen
Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:19 AM   #2

I have the D70 and it's a great camera. I have read reports that the D50 has slightly less noise and less moire than the D70 and D70s. On the downside it's slightly less responsive and has a few features missing compared to the D70s, although these seem mostly to be minor issues.

The D50 is smaller and lighter than the D70s and this may be a factor for you. I suggest you get your hands on both cameras to see how they feel before making your choice.

I find having 2 command dials on the D70 compare to my old film camera which had 1 like the D50 a big bonus it terms of ease of handling, others may find this less of an issue.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:51 AM   #3

Nagasaki is right....you have to decide which feels the best. If this is your 1st DSLR, I doubt that you'll miss any of the extra features the D70 provides, although this will give you a little more room for growth and learning in the future. Many of the image quality problems that have been associated with the D70 (specifically moire) are rare and only occur under very specific circumstances and can be worked around when you are aware of why it happens. I have both and use the D50 more, but only because I carry my camera around alot, and the slighlty smaller size of the D50 is more conducive to that. However, when I need the extra control or have a pic I need to get, I use the D70.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:54 AM   #4

I have had no more moire with the D70s than I did with my E-20 and don't notice it being a problem in the pictures I have taken to date. I have seen some noise as ISOs above 400 if the shutter speed gets longer than about 1/8 at 800. The higher the ISO the faster I need to get the shutter speed to keep from getting noise that I can't live with. So I think both issues are more of a lab measured difference than one you will see on the screen or print for the average Joe.

It did take me a while to get results with the camera that I was happy with. The "auto" mode did not give me the results I got from my wifes Canon ELPH, which was disapointing. But it works when you need a quick photo or to hand the camera to a friend so you can get in the picture and that's about the only time I use it. I use P "program mode" most of the time and once I figured out the +/- exposure is backwards in the screen to my novice intuition it has produced outstanding results.

I bought the D70s over the Canon because I had a 100-300 Nikon lens and a 50 mm Sigma macro, both inexpensive lens but I wanted to use them. The macro has produced great results. The 100-300 has not been used as often so I can't testify to it's results yet, maybe in the spring. I have since bought a 50mm F 1.4 Nikon and it gets used about as often as the kit lens. Both produce great pictures. If I can only take one, I take the kit lens. The reason I bought the D70s over the D50 was the compact flash. I like its size and it's robust. I did have a few 512s but since have bought a Ultra II 1 gig and plan on a second.

I think you made the right choice, I am very happy with the camera. The battery lasts forever and it fits my hand perfectly, I don't know how you would use the P mode with one dial.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 1:58 PM   #5
Hen

Thank you all.

Hen
Hen is offline   Reply With Quote