Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:07 AM   #1

I recently bought the D70s complete with kit lens in July and my photography teacher is trying to convince me to switch to the Canon system. He is selling his 20D and has offered me a good deal on it.

Can anyone tell me if I should switch to the Canon system before I start investing in the Nikon system?

Thank you,

Yitz Woolf
Ywoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:41 AM   #2

The 20d is certainly a step up from the D70, but why are you considering the switch. Are there any features missing from the D70 that you would gain with the 20d. You also have to consider the cost of new lenses and the learning curve associated with not just getting a new body, but by getting a whole new interface in the body. Both will give you great images. Unless you need the extra speed of the 20d or are just plain unhappy with the D70, I wouldn't spend any more time worrying about switching. With either of these cameras your image quality will depend more on your skills than which camera is better. If your getting bad pics with the D70, the 20d (or any camera for that matter) will not automatically make your pics better.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:47 AM   #3

I'm getting great pics from my D70s. The speed will probably help and quality of both systems are probably equal. My main concern is that the Nikon may be too expensive as a system vs the Canon in terms of buying lenses and all. Comments?
Ywoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:41 AM   #4

I just purchased a D70s myself.¬* I don't know about where you are but here in the U.S. both systems can get very pricey, very quickly.¬* On the other hand both have economical consumer versions of there lenses that can be quiet adequate for a beginner.¬* So, IMO, I don't think one system will cost you any more than the other.¬* I went with the D70 becuase it was less expensive than the 20D so I could sink the extra money into better quality lenses.¬* My area of interest is mostly wildlife and nature so I wanted a good telephoto lens to shoot wildlife.¬* I think you will more than happy with the D70.¬* Good luck,Steve¬*
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:30 AM   #5

I don't think there is a huge price difference between top of the line glass from either manufactures. Canon does have more lens offerings. If you need telephoto, Canon is probably the better choice, if you need wide angle, Nikon probably gets the nod. Either way, when you're talking pro level glass, both systems are quite expensive.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:16 PM   #6

I'd look for a new photography teacher in this case.

Not because Canon aren't every good as bit as Nikon--it's because he's abusing his position of power to pressure you into buying his trash (not that the camera is trash--a 20D is generally considered a bit nicer than a D70s). Seems like an unethical guy to me.

If you have a reason to switch (like high ISO noise or wider selection of USM(AF-S)/IS(VR) lenses), I'd consider it, but if you're generally happy with your D70s, I wouldn't.

As far as saving money, I don't see how you will--buying the same quality lens in either system will cost you a similar amount of money.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 2:45 PM   #7

Seems a bit unethical of your teacher. Have you quized him on why he is selling it? Canons do have a lot of focusing issures. I have Canon 10D and tried a 20D and a D70s in the local camera store. The Nikon held its own in every respect and was a bit more accurate on focusing correctly and capturing fast moving traffic. Canon does have more stabilized lenses than Nikon though.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote