Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:21 PM   #1

I hate to sound like a dummy but I am having some problems with the D200 I bought just 2 days ago. I first had the D50, then the dealer let me trade up to a D70s. I got so into photography that I just had to have a D200.

Let me try to explain what is happening....Sometimes when I shoot a picture it seems like the shutter sticks open and I get a blurred picture. I have just tried it in the house so maybe the lighting was off. I spoke to the tech at Complete Photo in Chicago and he said it might be the lenses. These are all Nikon lenses and all bought within the last 5 months. I was so used to the automatic settings on the D50 and D70 that I was in shock when I saw you had to set everything and not just put the dial on the green camera for auto settings likeon the other two cameras.

My other problem is that the tech wants me to bring the camera in so he can check it out ,but the store is about an hour away and I don't drive because I have a brain tumor and it is affecting my one eye. I live right next to a wildlife refuge and that's where I take my pictures and to relax from the stress of being sick.

I would appreciate it if I could find out if it's just a simple problem where I could hust change a setting and the problem would be solved. Besides I had to quit work because of the tumor and it's expensive to take a cab.

If there is anyone out there that could maybe give me some tips on what settings to change that might help me. I also have an SB-600 but it even sticks when that is attached.

If there is an expert out there in the Chicago area near Oak Lawn (just south of Chicago) I would be glad to pay for your help (I couldn't pay too much). This would save me from going back and forth to Complete Photo and it would get me prepared for spring when I can go out and sit and take pictures at the park.

Again, I would appreciate any help and I pray that it is just some setting I have wrong. We could do it by email or if you are local I could call you. I would like to learn this as soon as possible as the doctor doesn't know how long I have and I would like to get some enjoyment out of this great camera.

Thanks,

Tony
Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 12:32 PM   #2

Tony,

I am in California so I cannot help directly. I also don't have a D200 but am planning to purchase one later this year. From what I have read this may be from the mirror lock up that I have read about. Someone with a D200 should be able to help on this or you may look on the internet for something about it. This is probably mentioned in the manual somewhere. This is only a guess.

Any D200 users out there have any ideas?

Best of luck to you.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:37 PM   #3

What shooting mode are you in?? Are you in shutter or aperature, or full manual?? Either way it sounds like your shutter speed is slow because of either poor lightingand/or you have selected a small aperature in aperature mode, or if you're in shutter mode you just have selected a slow shutter speed. Also, take a look at the exif data from the blurry pic...this will tell you what settings were used by the camera to make the shot.

Regardless, try setting the camera to shutter priority and selecting various shutter speeds and snapping shots...don't worry about getting good pics, you're just testing if the shutter works. If you're shutter is still sticking at various speeds with various lenses, then you have a shutter problem. If it only happens with one lens, then your lens likely has a stuck aperature. It it's the shutter you will need to return the camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:18 PM   #4

Okay..I'll try shutter priority and see what happens. I have never been so confused in all my life. I'll try what you recommend and let you know. I am beginning to think it is in the lenses because I took a couple of great pictures outside today with a Nikon 70-200mm lens with no problem at all. I had trouble with an 85mm nikon though.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, Tony
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:22 PM   #5

I'll start reading about the mirror and see if it fits what is happening to me. I'll let you know.

It's tough when you are so excited about something and you can't get it to work.

Thanks,

Tony
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:22 PM   #6

Tony,

Sorry to hear about your illness. Sounds like you have the camera set in AV mode or P mode at a low ISO setting and the camera is adjusting the shutter speed to getthe proper exposure. Based on your questions, it seems that the sales person didn't take your needs into consideration when they had you upgrade. The D50 and D70 can produce professional grade photos, the D200 is probably the second best Nikon digital camera on the market. It is very complex.

Bill

wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:46 PM   #7

Gill,

What do I do to to get out of the AV or P mode? Would it be in the manual? I would like to try whatever I can in order to save a long trip down to Complete Photo. Is there a way I can change the cameras mode? Anything I could try on my own would be appreciated.

Thank you for the get well wishes. It's very depressing to find a hobby you love only to find out you might go blind and never be able to do what you really want.

Thanks Again,

Tony
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:30 AM   #8

Press the mode button and rotate the main command dial (the one on the back of the camera). On the LCD you should see the camera cycle through S (shutter), A (aperature), P (program shift), and M (manual). This is detailed in the "exposure"section in your manual.

Based on your experience, I think this camera may be a little much for you. This is not really a camera for newbs or even amateurs. To use this camera correctly (and to its full potential) you need to have the basics of photography mastered, as the camera needs to be set up by the photographer. If you're not even sure how to change or even what the shooting modes are, this camera will only drive you nuts..the exposure modes are the tip of the iceberg. It sounds like the D50 was the right camera for you. All DSLRS's will provide great image quality when used correctly. In fact, lenses have more of an impact on your image quality than the body you are using. I think you would be better served with the D50 and picking up a high quality lens or 2 (perhaps the new 18-200 VR which will be a solid all in one lens...no switching lenses back and forth, making things simpler). The D50 is set up to do everything for you and still allow you to have creative control over shooting if that's what you want to do.

Good luck.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:20 PM   #9

You are right...I started with a Kodak 7590. Then I bought a Nikon D50. The salesman let me trade up to the D70s. Both of them had the automatic switch on the dial so they were easy to work.

I really got into photography and started reading about the D200 and my doctor told me to get into photography even moreto reduce my stress level (I have a brain tumor and they don't know how long it will stay dormant). I tracked down one D200 in the Chicago area the other day so I took the money from the sale of the D70's and added a little more and bought it.

You are right...it is complicated but I am slowly learning. I haven't seen any books on the 200 yet but as soon as I find one i'll get it. I don't need to have a crash course...It's mainly to keep my mind off being sick. A couple of the pictures I took in a wildlife area behind my house turned out great. I am reading a lot about the 18-200VR lens and would love to get it but since my job required very good sight (tax Accountant) I had to quit so that will have to be put off.

I knew I was in over my head when I bought the 200 but I will have nothing else to do all day.

I changed the setting on the display to S and it seems like it is working better.

Thanks,

Tony
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:23 PM   #10

Tony,

I'm glad someone found the answer. I'm a Caonon shooter so I couldn't help you. I knew that the mirror lock up can be selected withthe mode, but I didn't know where the other dial was. This is a serious camera,even the professional Canon cameras havea green (fully auto) setting. Good luck. Unfortunately your sales person should have sold you the 18 - 200 VR lens instead of this camera. You could have shot without a tripod during the morning hours.

Suggestion: experiment with shutter priority modeusing ISO 400 - 800 setting to get decent shots using a telephoto lens. Another option is to use the P-mode and change the ISO settings to 400 or 800 to get faster shutter speeds. The reviews say this is a very good high ISO camera with very low noise levels.

Good luck and keep shooting.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote